You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old May 23rd, 2018, 07:31 PM   #1
rguimond
Lifetime Supporting Member
Canada

Can't find Rockwell .lic file

I want to move the activation files from an old (c. 2005) Windows XP machne to a new laptop. When I open FactoryTalk Activation Transfer Tool, I don't see the activation files for RSLogix 500 or 5000, even though both are licensed. I've searched for .lic files and haven't returned any from Rockwell.

I don't have the product key for any of the software I originally installed.

I'm wondering if, perhaps, there was a different licensing scheme in the past. Can anyone advise me

I've been trying to call Rockwell technical support for the last two evenings, but I can't get through. 90+ minutes last night and over an hour tonight...
Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:02 PM   #2
matthew1
United States

Look for the move activation under utilities. This should be under Rockwell Automation under all programs in windows. never dealt with factory talk Activation Transfer Tool, Maybe this is the tool you need.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 09:13 PM   #3
OkiePC
United States

could they be evrsi based licenses? If so, and if you can find the product keys or remember who they're registered to, contact tech support and ask if they can convert them to FT licenses.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 09:45 PM   #4
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

The "classic" activation method for Rockwell Software was called "EVRSI" and used copy-protected diskettes. Later the activation utility was updated to support removable media devices like USB jump drives and CompactFlash cards, and you can get the EVMOVECF utility from the RA Knowledgebase.

Rockwell otherwise doesn't provide a lot of support for EVRSI activations; it's been obsolete for 10+ years and users who still rely on them are generally using obsolete or unlicensed software. A very common bundle of services when a customer buys a TechConnect contract is to migrate all the EVRSI activations to FactoryTalk Activation licenses.

Most RA software stopped supporting EVRSI several versions ago; FactoryTalk View, for example, last supported it in v4. RSLogix 5000 finally gave it up in v18 or v19.
Old May 24th, 2018, 11:56 AM   #5
berrabbit5849
United States

Find 3 files under Public Documents, Rockwell Automation, Activation's and copy these file. Paste them in your other computer in the same location. They should look something like this. hostflex [ I use a dongle] FTAsyst.lic, Flexsur.opt. If your activation is to a Ethernet board,CD or hard drive this want work.
Old May 24th, 2018, 03:00 PM   #6
rguimond
Canada

I can see the licenses for RSLogix 500 & 5000 when I use the "Move Activation" application. I can't, however, move the licenses to a removable USB drive. I see the error "You cannot move to a non-Master removable drive under Windows NT"

Looks like I might be stuck with waiting on hold again this evening...
Old May 24th, 2018, 03:12 PM   #7
OkiePC
United States

Are you using the the regular EVMove application? It is no good with removable drives, but there is a version called EVMoveCF.exe that should allow you to move the activation to a USB drive.

In any case, moving the activation may not do you any good with newer software versions. Several times in the past I have used Rockwell Tech Support to convert legacy activations to Factory Talk activations. I have used their Chat help line and they have been great at getting it done pretty quickly without me having to be on hold on a phone.

We do have a tech support agreement, but even without one (many years ago) they have been helpful with activation support.

EDIT: Answer ID 31319
Date Created: 03/15/2005, Last Updated: 01/10/2018
Access Level: Everyone:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp....d/31319/page/1

Last edited by OkiePC; May 24th, 2018 at 03:17 PM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum