Stir tank for 5 minutes every hour

smithy1080

Hello everyone,

i'm very new to PLC's.

I have a VFD hooked up to a tank agitator motor, the VFD is connected to an output on my Allen Bradley Micro850.

I need to stir the tank for 5 minutes, and then off for 55 minutes and then repeat. What is the best way to do this? Ladder logic or write a structured text program? I'm using Connected Components Workbench. I've discovered the Timer On and Timer off functional blocks and also Pulse timer. Having trouble getting it to work....

Thanks!

Smithy

I would definitely go for ladder logic for such a simple application.

As you've mentioned in your post, you should be using basic TON timers for this. (You don't even need the TOF)

Here's an implementation of this logic.
NOTE: I tested with much smaller values on the timers (so that I don't wait for one hour), you will need to change those to whatever time scale you're using.
HpHM8VV.png

Note2: does not seem like my image is being posted... Here's the link: https://pasteboard.co/HpHM8VV.png

Let me know if that makes sense...
Vlad

Keep it simple and use the tools included.

Ladder logic and use TONOFF Timer, its exactly what it was designed for.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I just completed a job where a slurry tank had to be stirred just as you describe, only of course with different time values. It's in 5000, but I'm sure you can get it into whatever the micro uses..500? I also had CCW and made all the keypads, readouts, etc. If the info these pros have provided for you gets you close but not a touchdown, let me know and I'll send you a few rungs and the HMI. Good luck and again welcome to the forum.