FT View SE V10- Can't add text to numeric display, best way to make GObject w/ units?

Tanquen

V 10.00.01
Patch 9

I was wanting to make an analog process variable display global object but I guess that is not a good idea.

We are doing this no database thing and it looks like you can’t get an analog’s units or decimal precision from the PLC blocks they are using so…

Right now I’m just using a numeric display with a string display right next to it for the units but it seems like a nightmare. It looks like you can use a variable for decimal places but what about field length? I guess like everything else text related you have to make a really big text box so text is not clipped and will stay left/right/center justified when you change the text. Was hoping to plug all these into global object parameters.

The way FTV handles text is so odd. You can make stuff left/right/center justified but can mostly not make use of it as everything really has a lower left anchor. I just changed my field length on a few right justified numeric displays and they all extended to the right messing up their placement.

Thanks.

For the units, use a multi-state indicator.

That object gives you more (better) options for the text.
Set the border to none, and the background to transparent.
Then use a G.O. parameter to set the correct state value; of all your pre-loaded units.

Yes, the SE numeric and string display objects are … archaic and painful. Never resize the width or height; only make changes to the field and font settings.

You could play around with the multi-state indicator for the numeric display as well. Use an embedded variable for the caption, using your numeric tag. Make say, 5 states for 0, 1,...4 decimal places. Then use a G.O. parameter to change states for your needed decimal places.
Again, that object gives you font changes that are more expected of text objects.

There is some memory and display loading cost with the multi-state indicator, as it's a more complex object. If you keep it under 100 uses per display it will be fine. After that ymmv.

I use a multistate indicator. I pass it three parameters:

- The value to be displayed
- The units (string)
- A "healthy/not healthy" bit

I configure two states, with the text being simply [value connection][units connection], one looking "normal" and one highlighted in red (or similar) to draw attention to it. This way I can highlight values that are outside the "normal" range, e.g. high temperature alarms. If I don't need the "alarm" state, I just connect it to an always off tag.

The only drawback to this method that I've found is that I have to have different objects depending on how many decimal places I want. Although if I wanted to be clever I'm sure I could just create more states in the multistate indicator and pass another parameter to tell it which one to pick based on the number of decimal places I want.