5500 Motor Overspeed User Limit

kekrahulik

Posting this for future help to anyone else and as an easy place for me or my troubleshooters to find it at 3AM the next time it happens.

We have now had this happen three times over the past year that our 5500 servos all immediately fault when turned on with a "Motor Overspeed User Limit" fault. Twice this happened after a downday where equipment was probably powered off. Yesterday it happened after a CLX download.

The solution: Go into the motion group, axis properties for each servo.
--> Goto the Actions Tab.
--> Press the parameter button.
--> The "MotorOverspeedUserLimit" is probably 0 (don't know why). Set this value to 120% (at least for my applications).
Do this for every axis.

So here's the weird part...the drives clearly would not run with these values set as zero. However, if I go back and look at previous versions of the program (going two years back), the values had historically been zero??? So it appears that these systems ran that way for a very long time until they suddenly couldn't after a powerloss. I thought maybe that parameter just isn't captured in an offline copy of the program, but now that its been set to 120%, the offline version has that captured.