When writing HMI program

Greg7683

Why are there empty screens in between full screens are there supposed to be empty screens like 1, 2are full 3 is empty and 4 is empty and 5 is full

Forgive me for asking what options not present on the machine they are blank so I I was to write my own can I skip the blank screens or do I need them for options. Does it really matter where the screens are in the program as long as you have a button that will take you to the screen

Last edited:
You've given no context to help anyone understand your question, so I offered a possible explanation. You haven't even identified which of dozens of HMIs you're dealing with.
IF you're dealing with an HMI for a machine you purchased, then maybe there are options for the machine that your company didn't purchase and perhaps that's the explanation for the gap in the screen number. It's also possible that the original programmer couldn't count.
In general there aren't any rules that dictate sequential numbering for HMI screens and as you've already learned there is nothing in the brand you're using that dictate no gaps in the screen numbers. One reason for the existence of screen numbers in the first place is to provide a simple way to navigate between them. Many brands include a screen number tag that can be transmitted to the PLC so the PLC program can know which screen is currently displayed. There is also frequently a corresponding tag that the PLC program can use to force the HMI to display a specific screen.

OK I am trying to convert the Fuji hmi to weintek since we have many of the weintek hmis so I am going to try and write the program for the weintek when I look at the fuji there are several blank screens so I was trying to make sure if I had to have blank screens or not. I guess see picture

j7A5AU

When writing Code such as C, VB, Python, most programmer will use a line numbering such as 10 - 20 - 30 and so forth. This is done so that if they would need to go back and add another line of code it would be very simple.

I do this with my HMI programming now, Screen 10 is always my Main(Boot) screen and then I number 15 - 20 - 25 - Etc.

When writing Code such as C, VB, Python, most programmer will use a line numbering such as 10 - 20 - 30 and so forth. This is done so that if they would need to go back and add another line of code it would be very simple.

I do this with my HMI programming now, Screen 10 is always my Main(Boot) screen and then I number 15 - 20 - 25 - Etc.

OK so they probably left them open for later use If they would have to add more screens?

That's what I would assume, but without documentation, you just never know what the programmer was thinking.

However, I would see this as standard practice!

Here is a basic rundown of how switches/indicators/etc work for easybuilder:

You have "objects". These objects do things. Like a bit lamp, which is on, off, blinking, etc based on the status of a bit. There is a word lamp, that compares the value in a word to a set of values, and acts accordingly. There are all kinds of objects in easybuilder. Each object does something specific, and has a set of parameters that tells it how to act.

Of those parameters, for instance, you have an address, to tell the object where to look and also a parameter to tell easybuilder to use either a picture or a graphic. You can make your own, or there are additional ones on the easybuilder site.

There is a manual, but we would need to know what HMI you are using. I suggest going to the site for your HMI and looking through the documentation for your specific product.

Addressing is a bit tricky on easybuilder. You would need to let us know what type of connection you are using, and give us specifics about your hardware in the system to really get much help. You may also want to search through some of my past threads on the forum, as I just learned how to use easybuilder over the summer.

Here is a link to a search with my recent threads:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=8856818

Be sure to look at all the details, it's not just about the "objects", there may be several "Macro's" involved. This would actually be CODE that may do things that an Object could not do.

I like to group related screens together.
If there's no technical penalty for skipping screens, using screen 10 as the main screen, 20 as the main overview of some part, 25 as maybe a diagnostic page of that part.
I do this with routines as well, spacing them out sometimes by 100's (R0100_Main, R0200_Inputs, R300_...)

Then when you come to add the inevitable new screen, you just pop it in at screen 22 and they're all ordered together.

Here is a basic rundown of how switches/indicators/etc work for easybuilder:

You have "objects". These objects do things. Like a bit lamp, which is on, off, blinking, etc based on the status of a bit. There is a word lamp, that compares the value in a word to a set of values, and acts accordingly. There are all kinds of objects in easybuilder. Each object does something specific, and has a set of parameters that tells it how to act.

Of those parameters, for instance, you have an address, to tell the object where to look and also a parameter to tell easybuilder to use either a picture or a graphic. You can make your own, or there are additional ones on the easybuilder site.

There is a manual, but we would need to know what HMI you are using. I suggest going to the site for your HMI and looking through the documentation for your specific product.

Addressing is a bit tricky on easybuilder. You would need to let us know what type of connection you are using, and give us specifics about your hardware in the system to really get much help. You may also want to search through some of my past threads on the forum, as I just learned how to use easybuilder over the summer.

Here is a link to a search with my recent threads:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=8856818
It's a weintek MT6070iH It connects with a serial cable to the Mitsubishi PLC and i am trying to learn on my own but can't find any materal on how and when to use A word lamp or a bit lamp or a set bit and a word bit and how to know what addresses to use or can I use any address for any of the switches. Any manuals or info would help lol.