Creating PDF on Siemens Comfort panel

DLMUK

Hi all,

Does anybody know if it is possible to create a PDF on a Siemens comfort panel WITHOUT using the printer drivers? Maybe using a VB script or similar.

I cannot use the printer driver for the PDF because I am already using it for a USB printer. I need to create a section on my panel where the operator can press to print a file, or generate it as a PDF and save it to a memory location or email it using an SMTP server.

Thanks all

@Jesper - I need to generate a certificate which can be sent on to people, so I think a text file would be too basic.

I mean, theoretically, a PDF file is an open(ish?) standard, so you could potentially create one from scratch as a text file with the extension pdf. No idea how hard that is, if you can load a library, or if the limitations from WinCC or Windows CE make that impossible.

@mk42 - i'm not sure how you would do that, unless i'm wrong simply saving a text file with the extension .pdf will not create a pdf file. Am i missing something?

A pdf file is a combination of three parts, a page description language, a method to embed fonts, and a method to store all the stuff. If you open a pdf file in Wordpad you can see the structure of the file, I have done it, and saved it as a text file, attached. The document just said 'Test pdf' on one line and you can see the complexity of the resulting pdf. So I think it is very much a theoretical option to create a pdf via a text file.

@mk42 - i'm not sure how you would do that, unless i'm wrong simply saving a text file with the extension .pdf will not create a pdf file. Am i missing something?

Sorry, wasn't clear. I was saying you make a document with all the complexity that BryanG demonstrated. Probably said it stupidly. Definitely not an easy task, not sure if the Comforts can handle that much scripting.

I think you would be better off using an Raspberry pi and retrieve the data you need from the HMI.