Panelview 600 Communication Gap

Archon

I am stuck on trying to connect to a Panelview 600 that I am threatening to turn into a doorstop.

It is a 2711-K6C2. It has two DH-485 ports with one being a fat one that was used to interface with the PLC and the other being the smaller RJ-45 style port.

I have RSLinx 4.43 installed on a laptop with Win2k and RSLinx 4.53 on a desktop with WinXP.

I have tried two different 1747-PIC modules with three different cables on both computers but no joy.

I have configured the PIC 1747 driver for 19200 baud and the PV 600 is set for 19200 baud. I have tried changing the node address on the PV with no success.

I can get either PIC module to work with a SLC 503 that I have and it sees the SLC in RSLInx so I know the PIC modules and the com port is working (I can also use an RS232 null cable to program the 503 from the same port).

Apparently, I am missing something here. It has been a while since I worked with this stuff and even though I have tried everything I can think of I still can't communicate with the PV 600.

The DH485 on the PV 600 seems to be working. It powers up with "612 error code (No Active Nodes found on network)" and then if I connect the patch cable from the 503 to the PV 600 I get "613: Required Network Node(s) not found" and then it gives me an error that it cannot write to the remote device like it detects the PLC and is trying to write to it.

I do not need the program in the PV and would like to erase and start from scratch if that would help. I opened up the back of the PV 600 and moved J4 from "Protect" to "Program" but still no joy. I was looking for a battery to pull or hard reset to erase the program that is in it.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Archon

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate." The Captain in Cool Hand Luke

You have probably tried this,
I think your panelview has a key pad, so if you push the left and right arrow at the same time you should get to the configuration screen, and this may help you with your issues.

Welcome
for your first post
You communicate real well
"What we've got here is...failure to communicate." The Captain in Cool Hand Luke

Last edited:
The PIC needs power. When connected to your SLC it gets its power from the SLC.
When connected to the PV's programming port the SLC still needs to be connected to the PV or an external power supply, is it? See PDF's below for PV connection location and PIC power requirements.

Last edited:
More info

Thanks for the tips.

I remembered the two arrows and tried changing the buad rate and node address to no avail.

My PV 600 is the second one from the top, on the pdf that you posted. It has no RS232 ports only the big and little RS485's. (DH-485 without additional RS-232).

Also, I have a really old PIC module 1747-PIC Revision A. It is a big pastic box with a ribbon cable out one end that ends in a DB25 and a fat DH485 female on the other end that uses a fat dh485 cable that ends in an RJ45. It looks like the adapter on the first page of this doc:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in024_-en-p.pdf

The panelview is powered from 120v and the PIC box has no facility for connecting power.

The DB25 end has an adapter on it that goes from DB25 to DB9. It is a standard adapter I believe. I plug that end into the com1 port and the RJ45 end into the matching port on the PV600.

This stuff is some surplus equipment I picked up a while ago and have just now got around to trying to set it up. I got the SLC 503 talking through the serial cable after I went back to Radio Shack and got a null modem adapter for the com port.

I am beginning to get the impression that the 1747-PIC cannot be used with the Panelview. I think it may only be able to be used on the SLC.

Anyone know if that is true?

The PIC should work. Reread the second PDF I posted above. The PIC needs power. It can get it from a SLC DH485 port when connected to the SLC. Your PV cannot power the PIC alone. Read the PDF it explains it.

Thanks Mickey.

I reread the doc and tried the second setup since I don't have an NP1 power supply I powered the DH485 with the SLC and still no joy. I tried it with both the Win2k laptop and the WinXP desktop and tried deleting and then adding the pic driver before and after plugging in.

I even grounded the PV 600 like they recommended.

The PV600's comm light is steady green while connected and it displays the "613: Required Network Node(s) not found" error when plugged in and the "612 error code (No Active Nodes found on network)" when unplugged.

I did notice that every time I change the node number on the PV600 then RSLinx says it can't find that node. i.e. when I have the PV600 numbered node 25 RSLinx says it is browsing and it can't find node 25. It also says it can't find node 1 (the slc500) through the PV but when I plug the PIC directly into the SLC it works just fine.

I have a couple of AB gurus here in my town I may ask them to take a look at it to see if they can talk to it.

Proper cables? Double check them.
Let us know what you find.
Another option to program your PV is a memory card.

Last edited:
Thanks Mickey.

The cables all seem to be all right as they work fine with the SLC and the PIC module. They are the correct number from AB.

I didn't think about the memory card for programming but will consider that if the comm port is not toast on the PV.