Compactlogix I/O minor fault and seeing tags in Factory Talk View

Handcraftedsince87

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good afternoon,
Am having a couple of problems trying to setup a compactlogix L23E QB1B, and a PanelView Plus 600.

I've changed IP addresses in all parties involved and can see everything in RSlinx, and go online to the controller. I've setup Factory Talk to the best of my abilities as far as design and runtime communication settings. I found the processor and set the path in Design, and then also set the path to the processor for the Runtime. I thought originally, under design, you need to set the path to the PLC, and in Runtime, need to set the path to the Panelview.. however it would not let me select the panelview as a path under runtime, but would let me set the path to the processor. Does the PLC need to be selected for both?

I ask because when I search for tags in factory talk view, I can't see any tags from the processor, only Date, Time, month, year, etc. I tried refreshing, saving the program etc. with no luck. I guess I'm not quite sure how to assign tags in Factory Talk.

Secondly, and I'm not sure if this is a connected issue, but when I go online with the PLC it show's the two embedded I/O modules and "bus" to have a minor fault. The fault reads:

1/16/1998 2:44:13 PM
(Type 03) Unknown fault
(Code 00) Unknown fault.
Fault Information Dump:
Info[0]: 00000000
Info[1]: 00000000
Info[2]: 00000000
Info[3]: 00000000
Info[4]: 00000000
Info[5]: 00000000
Info[6]: 00000000
Info[7]: 00000000

Not sure what that fault is about. Any info that could point me in the right direction on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I left out any pertinent information.

Thank you in advance.

Have taken a run through the manual, but will give it another shot. By assigning an IP address to the terminal, do you mean the Panelview? If so then yes, and I can see everything in RS linx.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/support/pcdc.page

Go here. Select "Compare Products" link.
GO ahead and enter Panelview in the search field. Find and select the exact model you have.
Select the Firmware.

Click "COMPARE" button.

Now this will show you what version of Factorytalk is compatible with the Panel Firmware you have.

Make sure they both match up in the list because an incompatibility will cause all kinds of strange issues.

I'm not seeing my exact cat # of the panel view to compare. It's a panelview plus 600 cat# 2771P-T6M20D firmware version 5.10.06.09 (CPR9).

I see a few different options, but none that match the T6M20D... and all of the options only offer a firmware of 5.10.16 or higher. Does that mean it can only be programmed with RSview?

Im pretty sure you wrote the model number down incorrectly.
Its most likely a 2711P

My advice was related to possible causes for the fault you are having but I doubt this is the problem.
I don't have Factory Talk on this computer and its been a while so I cannot help much in this regard.

Last edited:
The sticker on the back of the PV says 2711P-T6M20D. I saw others on the RA site that started with 2711P, but had different numbers on the end.. and the firmware revision issue. I saw Ken Roach perusing this thread briefly, was hoping he might've chimed in

So I figured out the issues I was having. First, the fault code was showing I didn't have connections to the embedded input and output modules. Although I could "drill down" to them in RSlinx, and they seemed to be connected, when I went online, they had a "minor fault" and subsequently switched it to run mode, the processor would fault out. Turns out I was forgetting to put on the end cap to the Micrologix unit. Without those terminating resistors, you can't establish the proper connections.

As far as finding the tags, they are under design tags, not system tags. If you right click, (I think there is also a button on the bottom) and refresh all tags, you will find your tags from the processor.

I'm trying to get more into the programming side of things coming from more of a maintenance electrician position, so I appreciate every ones patience and help for us Newbies. Hopefully this post will help someone in the future.