SLC500 2 RACKS over a distance?

Automater

Hello Friends,

And interesting question, however, it could also be stupid. LOL

Okay, I understand that the SLC500 can support 3 racks with 1 CPU. Which is perfect.

1746-C# interconnect cables. Of course this is not a solution.

I have been reading about the 1747-SN. however, I am not quite sure if you need 2 of them. More so, if I have 3 racks, do I need then 3 x 1747-SN

Thank you very much.

If I remember correctly (It's been close to 15 years since I've dealt with this, you would need one 1747-SN on the rack with the CPU to act as the RIO master, and a 1747-ASB card in each remote rack.

I don't think any of these are in production anymore, so you may want to consider using something more up-to-date.

EDIT: Dang! Okie beat me to it! :)

You would only need 1 ASB Module if the 2 remote racks were in the same location.

Then again, as has already been mentioned, the SLC is being phased out by AB.

As mentioned before, you will need one 1747-ASB for each remote RIO chassis.

Each RIO Adapter could control one remote RIO chassis and up to two remote RIO expansion chassis for a maximum of 30 slots.

You will address the I/O modules residing within the 1747-ASB remote RIO chassis by logical rack and logical group for a maximum of 4 Logical Racks (0, 1, 2, 3). The slot addressing ( how each RIO chassis slot is assigned a specific amount if the 1747-ASB image) could be chosen as 2-slot, 1-slot or 1/2-slot addressing.

You could use as many 1747-ASBs as needed by your system layout observing the RIO limits of 30 slots per Adapter while remembering there is a 4 Logical Racks limit for the entire network controlled by the RIO Scanner.

Last edited:
THANK YOU ALL very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have a 1747-ASB which they are willing to sell?

Thank you all!!!!

Be warned that these are not as simple to set up as adding a rack using the ribbon cable or as simple as setting up a remote rack in Controllogix. The remote rack will be addressed and follow rules very similar to PLC-5 I/O.

Be warned that these are not as simple to set up as adding a rack using the ribbon cable or as simple as setting up a remote rack in Controllogix. The remote rack will be addressed and follow rules very similar to PLC-5 I/O.

Ahhh okay. That is interesting.

Could you provide and example please as I am not sure how you would reference and output / input on the rack with the 1747-ASB.

Thank you

Ahhh okay. That is interesting.

Could you provide and example please as I am not sure how you would reference and output / input on the rack with the 1747-ASB.

Thank you

Discrete IO is relatively straightforward. If using single slot addressing, then the modules installed in a remote chassis would be referenced as the slot number in which your SN module is installed with 16 bits sequentially assigned to each slot in the remote chassis.

For example, if you installed your SN Module in Slot 3 of the CPU chassis and placed a 16 point input module into the first slot of the remote chassis containing your ASB module, then those input module IO points would be referenced as I:3/0 through I:3/15. If you then placed an 8 point output module into the second slot, it's IO points would be referenced as O:3/16 through O:3/23, with the following 8 IO points lost to the proverbial bit bucket. The next module's addresses would begin at I/O:3/32.

Retrieving analog data from a remote chassis is far more complex, and requires block transfers to/from virtual rack and slot addresses.

I am hesitant to go into more detail, since I am speaking from memory about a RIO system that I haven't configured recently, and I have no programming software installed on this home computer. While SLC RIO is similar to RIO for the PLC5, it is not quite identical.

I hope that I haven't offered any incorrect information, but if I have, then surely someone will come along to correct the record.

Discrete IO is relatively straightforward. If using single slot addressing, then the modules installed in a remote chassis would be referenced as the slot number in which your SN module is installed with 16 bits sequentially assigned to each slot in the remote chassis.

For example, if you installed your SN Module in Slot 3 of the CPU chassis and placed a 16 point input module into the first slot of the remote chassis containing your ASB module, then those input module IO points would be referenced as I:3/0 through I:3/15. If you then placed an 8 point output module into the second slot, it's IO points would be referenced as O:3/16 through O:3/23, with the following 8 IO points lost to the proverbial bit bucket. The next module's addresses would begin at I/O:3/32.

Retrieving analog data from a remote chassis is far more complex, and requires block transfers to/from virtual rack and slot addresses.

I am hesitant to go into more detail, since I am speaking from memory about a RIO system that I haven't configured recently, and I have no programming software installed on this home computer. While SLC RIO is similar to RIO for the PLC5, it is not quite identical.

I hope that I haven't offered any incorrect information, but if I have, then surely someone will come along to correct the record.

Thank you very much!!!! I will keep you updated when I get the parts.

Good luck, these things are actually kind of a nightmare. I hope you have a TechConnect contract 🍺

No need to elaborate as these guys covered about everything, except the fact that they are crazy expensive. You may be better off getting two ethernet-enabled 5/05's and programming in data transfers. Would be a little tricky to set up reliably, but still easier than RIO in my opinion.

You may be better off getting two ethernet-enabled 5/05's and programming in data transfers. Would be a little tricky to set up reliably, but still easier than RIO in my opinion.

The SLC 5/05 (Ethernet) controllers do not have Ethernet Remote I/O control capabilities; you could explicitly (MSG) transfer data to/from Ethernet capable devices, however, the implicit Ethernet data transfer is available only for the Logix Class platform (ControlLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix, SoftLogix)

For the SLC controller family you could allocate remotely located IO via RIO (1747-SN), DeviceNet (1747-SDN) and ControlNet (1747-SCNR) only.