SLC 5/05 fault no RSLogix

Is there a way you can reset a fault in a SLC 5/05 other than using RSLogix? A customer, one who failed to purchase logix as part of the install, has had a fault, which is not reseting when power is cycled. Is there another way he can clear this fault short of buying RSLogix (and having days and days of donw time) or having me fly to mexico?? THanks alot

Matt

have you tried this?

keyswitch ALL THE WAY to PROG position - then
keyswitch ALL THE WAY to RUN position

this will only "reset" a fault - not "correct" it - much like resetting a circuit breaker - it won't "fix" a shorted toaster - but if you're lucky this might help -

good luck,

common mistake: customer turns keyswitch only to REM and then back to RUN - this won't reset the fault -

Hmm, I did have him do that, better make sure he moved it all the way. The machine has been working for 18 months without a fault. I know some major faults are not cycle resetable. Any other suggestions?

we've done this a few times in desperation:

he fed-x's processor to you - you use RSLogix500 to examine fault code and reset - fed-x processor back to him -

not as good as "on-site" troubleshooting - but cheaper than a trip - if it works -

SLC work-around for no I/O:

in Processor Status file - click "IO" tab - each box in the "IO Slot Enables" row represents a slot in a chassis - (note: the very first slot is for the processor itself) - put a zero in the boxes (slots) you want the processor to IGNORE - then it won't fault when those modules are missing - problem: no known work-around for wrong size chassis -

anyway - if he sends you the processor, keep it simple - just put the keyswitch in PROG as soon as you get it - THEN plug it into a chassis and power it up - the original "Major Error" code (at S:6) and its description should still be registered - also note (on the same "Errors" window) the "Fault/Powerdown Rung #" (at S:20) where the fault occurred - and the "File #" (at S:21) where the fault occurred - these aren't always available - it depends on the type of fault -

good luck

Matthias von Zorn said:
having days and days of donw time

That should just about justify a serial modem and a phone line.

I agree with the above comments that even though you can reset a fault easily, you can't always "eliminate" the reason the fault occured.

There are two more things you can do:

1. Right now - examine the status LEDs on the CPU, at least they can tell what "kind" of error it is.

2. In the future (If you have an MMI connected to the CPU) - program two display fields on the MMI for the CPU adresses S:6 "Major error fault code" and S:54 "Last major error". These can indeed save you a trip to the other side of the world.

Suggestion

Here's a suggestion (or maybe something to think about next time ;) )

Does the 5/05 have an eeprom installed??

If it did.......

Then would it be possible to remove the cpu from the rack, disconnect the battery, short the capacitor, THEN have the plc boot up from it's eeprom??

How well would that work?

Originally posted by JesperMP
2. In the future (If you have an MMI connected to the CPU) - program two display fields on the MMI for the CPU adresses S:6 "Major error fault code" and S:54 "Last major error". These can indeed save you a trip to the other side of the world.

Oh, good idea. Never thought about doing that. I could change thier HMI (wonderware) and email them the new version right now.. Hey, doesnt the PLC stop communicating when there is a fault?

Are these stored in the SLC as strings? I assume so. Time to bust out the SLC help file.

Last edited:
No the PLC continues to communicate (if it can) even when there is a major error.

Otherwise you couldn't see or reset a major error with your programming software.

Additional hint: Use the Fault Routine S:29 to execute a special program file in case of a major error. For example, this can be used to generate a meaningful fault message on your HMI.

I have done this and it works like a charm.