dl205 communication problems

joe75140

Hi, I am not very familar with Direct plc's. We have 4 DL205 plc's with d2-240 cpu's in our plant. The software I have is DirectSoft version 1.1. I have added sensors and made program changes on 2 of them. When I went to make changes on the other 2, I could not communicate. The plc's are the same, but on these two machines there is a direct view 1000 interface connected to one of the ports. I have only been with the company 6 months now, but the operators said the interface has not worked any since it was installed 8 years ago. It is giving a fault which is a communication time out according to the manual. I also have checked the cpu manual and direct soft manual and still no luck. I have used every address with protocol K Sequence and several adresses with direct net protocol. I don't think the ports are deffective because it is the same on 2 seperate plc's. Is there a way someone could have locked these ports? It does not ask for a password though. I have tried to cycle the power with the hmi unplugged also. If anyone has any information or ideas please let me.

First off it your version of DirectSoft is out of date. It could be that the firmware in these 2 cpu's is newer then the others and that is why it will not communicate with them. If you have the logic stored as a backup some place make the changes and save it until you get updated software, which if I am not mistaken is verion 5 now. You can download this and if the logic is small enough you do not have to pay for the full version.

Check out automationdirect.com for more details.

I assume the DV1000 is plugged into the top port.

Did you unplug it and connect your laptop to the top port for programming?

I have limited experience with the DV1000 so i can't help much with that.

Thank you very much for the replies. I tries the directsoft5 today but still had no sucess on only those 2 plcs. I have tried both ports with the dv1000 unplugged. I talked to tech support today and after going over everything with him, and he said the only thing he thinks could have happened is either a power surge occured on both circuits and damaged the ports, or someone may have used a wrong cable and damaged the ports. That seems odd that the same problem would occur on both plc's. I guess I will have to replace the cpu's and write a program if I can't communicate by next week. Any more ideas are welcome. Thanks.

If it was me and you think the programs are the same, I would swap the CPU with one that was working or send the CPU back to AD and they should be able to get the program out of it and send you a copy.