TP 177B Simatic touch

Raguvasan

Hi there,
for some reason i cant establish connection between the panel and my laptop connected using a null-modem cable coupled with an USB to Serial adaptor.(my lappy doesnt have a serial port).....
i have checked the COM port, baud rate, transfer mode etc.yet, i cant find a way out.
is there a way to see if my laptop had detected the touch panel or not?
or can somebody advise what i have missd to do?
please help..........

This may seem silly...is the HMI in Download mode? Also check the connection setting in WinCC Flex:

Project--Transfer--Transfer Settings

Nick

The TP177B-DP does not have a serial RS232 port.
You can download to it via MPI or DP

For the TP177B-PN/DP you can also download via Ethernet. I use ethernet as it is blisteringly fast.
Set the IP adress on the panel, set the transfer channel 2 to "ethernet", and reboot the panel. Then you can transfer via ethernet from your laptop.

We just did one of these and a PPI cable is required to download.
How many ports is there on the TP and what are they called (IF1A/B) ?
If its just the one then you have no choice but to use the PPI cable.

As Jesper said if its ethernet capable you can manually set the IP and go that way.

hello guys,
is there a setting on the HMI for Download Mode?
iis there an ethernet port on the panel?(its a TP 177B DP Mono)
and there is only one port and thats the IF1B.....
anyways, can the USB port be of any use?
coz, the MPI is not with me and i cant afford to by another one...
its frustrating........
thanks for the replies...

Hello All,
i never thought of checkin whether the touch panel was recogonized by my laptop or not. apparently the drvice manager list doesnt show any sign of touch panels existance. i dont know what stupid thing i did. can somebody help me?

A TP177B DP Mono does not have an ethernet port.
So you need a PPI cable or a MPI/DP adapter.
I once fumbled with trying to get connected via the USB port, but couldnt get it to work. The USB port is useful for attaching a mouse when changing settings in the Control Panel.

Is there a flash card slot in the panel ?
If you are in trouble somewhere, you could have someone else program a similar TP177B, make a backup of the panel via a flashcard, and then email you the contents of the flashcard. And you can then restore the image to the panel without the cable.

You can use the USB port to program the TP with, however you must install the driver that comes with your WinCC Flex software. I tested this myself once to make sure it worked for my companies techs to use.

thanks jasper,
thats good idea. i can try that...
Ron, i guess you are talkiin about this one "RenameOldDriver.bat"(1KB).
if clicked, gets into DOS mode for a moment and jumps back.
there are no .exe files in that folder........
am i making any sense at all? i dont know guys. please advice.

Ron Brown said:
You can use the USB port to program the TP with, however you must install the driver that comes with your WinCC Flex software. I tested this myself once to make sure it worked for my companies techs to use.
Which cable do you use for the USB-USB connection ? I tried with a USB host-to-host cable, but couldnt get it to work.

Hi Jesper,
When you suggested making a backup and e-mailing the backup, which files do you e-mail. I tried this along time ago and could not get the restore to successfully complete. So I quit trying and decided it had to do with not being allowed to make copies of WinCE. It just might help Raguvasan, and I am curious.

Raguvasan,
I am not sure you got an answer to you transfer mode question. You select transfer mode during HMI power up. Or you can check the "Remote Control" box in the WinCE Transfer Settings applet (WinCC Control Panel -> Transfer Settings). With remote control selected, WinCC on your PC will put the HMI in transfer mode when you invoke download.

You have to use the backup/restore aplet in the Windows Control Panel on the Panel.
It copies everything incl. Windows CE. And the contents of the flash card can be read by any card reader.

Regarding copying a backup, I tried it again today and the first time it failed. A window popped up saying the CRC check failed. I repeated it again after having Windows on my PC display all system and hidden files - then it worked. My procedure was to use the WinCE backup applet to copy it to the CF disk, put the CF disk in my PC and copy the files to the hard drive, copy the file from the hard drive to a new CF disk, put the new CF disk in a new HMI, and then finally run the WinCE restore applet. So I guess I must have previously missed a hidden/system file, or I did something else wrong.

Raguvasan, my apologies for distracting this thread. Hopefully the USB connection will work and you will not need to do this backup method.

G'Day All, Sorry for i wasnt able to access this section for a couple of days. thanks for all the suggestions. before reading jespers comments on USB, i bought one and am afraid jesper is right. its asking me to update the OS but wudnt allow me to do the same. it says the ProSave version and the Panel OS are not compatible. can someone help? hey Ron, i believe it worked for you. would you be able to gimme any suggestions.

good day all,
there was no problem with the device, settings or the cables used whatsoever(exept USB host-to-host, it didnt work) .
it is the serial-to-USB adaptor. the TP doesnt seem to like this adaptor.
thank you all for your valuable suggestions.