rs logix 5000 error on loading

RY_Guthrie

When I try to open a project I get a fatal error that generates and file cump report and it gives me this message "rxexception_microsoft_c_plus_plus-A Microsoft c++ esception was generated but not handled" I have never seen this before and have no idea what to do with it? I am running rs-logix 5000 ver. 20.01 and the project is also in that version, any buddy seen this before? and have a fix for it!! Thanks!

This particular problem has been around since v17. There are a couple possible causes and solutions. One fix is simple, the other, not so...

50455 -RSLogix 5000 FatalError - A Microsoft C++ exception was generated but not handled
Access Level: TechConnect

If you don't have a TechConnect account, try opening the *.ACD file while holding down the left SHIFT and CTRL keys. If that doesn't work, the *.ACD file is most likely corrupted. Rockwell can attempt to repair it for you if you send it to them.

Hopefully the answer is behind door A?

Regards,
George

no door A

Tried the left cntrl and shift with no luck. Would the fact I am using remote desk top and copying and pasting these files be causing this situation? As these files work on the host computer just fine, its just when I try and open them up on my laptop they wont work, but other programs do work developed under the same version. I am going to try copying it to a thumb drive off the host computer and then transferring them to my laptop and see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the info.

Ahh, yes. Many files have been known to get corrupted when copying over Remote Desktop. If you're sure the *.ACD file on the remote PC is ok, try zip it first and then copy it?

Regards,
George

I'm having the same problem.

Win7/32 SP1

I have two different v20 program files for two different PLCs. Trying to open either results in a crash, each time pointing at RxEXCEPTION_MICROSOFT_C_PLUS_PLUS.

I have seen this in the past and it was cured after a windows update updated some apparently non-related windows components.

I'm guessing that another recent windows update has again broken a component that Logix 5000 v20 relies on. (v17 and 19 working OK). The fact that Rockwell software is so reliant and tied into Windows components over which it has no control is a major weakness.

I do not think it is a corrupt ACD problem, as neither v20 file will open, nor the backups and starting a brand new v20 project results in the same crash.

Screenshot 2014-05-20 10.29.53.png

UPDATE

Having found technote 471207 (Sorry you need TechConnect to access), it lists the exact error, and although I don't have the WEBROOT SecureAnywhere software that it blames, the fix did work which is to open Control Panel, find RS Logix 5000 v20 and run the Repair option.

Good stuff, I had just read that TechConnect article and was about to link it when I noticed you had since replied.

Glad you got sorted, but because you're not quite sure which Windows application or service corrupted v20, it might happen you again. At least you have a workaround.

Regards,
George

Glad you got sorted, but because you're not quite sure which Windows application or service corrupted v20, it might happen you again.

Very true.

It's either CCleaner (although I'm sure I've opened a v20 file since I last ran CCleaner), or the fact that MS Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable was updated to 10.0.40219 last week (C++ error in the crash)

rs logix 5000 error

I am sure my issue is the fact I was trying to transfer these files over remote desk top, just did the old fashioned way, copied them to a flash drive and they all worked just fine, a lesson learned, thanks Geospark!

When moving the ACD across with RDP, converting the ACD to XML and then copying/pasting the XML file can work. Last resort would be copying the text of the XML file and pasting it on your local machine.

That will help you stay at home in your lounge chair instead of on site.

UPDATE

Having found technote 471207 (Sorry you need TechConnect to access), it lists the exact error, and although I don't have the WEBROOT SecureAnywhere software that it blames, the fix did work which is to open Control Panel, find RS Logix 5000 v20 and run the Repair option.

Same problem here on 2 laptops with v20. One W7-32bit, one W7-64bit. Just started a few days ago after a windows update.

Running repair fixed both, and also a strange bug that started windows installer to install RS500 v9 anytime you tried to open either program. That was strange!

rs loigx error

I found in my case if I installed .net framework 2.0 or higher and reinstalled rs-logix 5000 it solved all my issues with getting this error, hope this helps anyone else having this issue as I don't have tech account and don't plan on paying Allen Bradley anymore money than I have to.

I found in my case if I installed .net framework 2.0 or higher and reinstalled rs-logix 5000 it solved all my issues with getting this error, hope this helps anyone else having this issue as I don't have tech account and don't plan on paying Allen Bradley anymore money than I have to.

Running repair is pretty painless and a whole lot quicker than doing a reinstall. Just a few minutes for each laptop. You do have to have the proper path to the original installation source. If it's from a CD/DVD, you will need those. I just copy these and put it in a folder on my puter's and do the original install from there. That way I don't need to carry a pile of disc's with me.

I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to say thanks for the tips listed here. I had a problem getting RSL5K to load any program and the repair option solved it for me.

Cool! After XP, this stuff starts to flake out a bit. XP was no gem either, but this is what we deal with, so it's a typical day at the beach!