Kinetix 350 Code 03

dhughes36

First time post. Just joined as a member.

Cat # 2097-V34PR6-LM 3PH 400/480

Can't get past the "03" code at power-up. Drive has been in use for 9 months.
I've verified 3-phase 460 coming into drive unit. What else could inhibit bus charge?

Please help, as our machine is down!!

peace

Welcome to the PLCTalk Forum !

So the drive just shows the "-03-" numeric code, not an F or S code ? F33, in particular, is a "DC Bus low" fault, rather than a DC bus precharge waiting state.

You're correct, of course, that it's waiting for the DC bus to charge.

You can check the DC bus directly with a voltmeter from the shunt connector right on the front of the drive.

If your drive has failed, it's probably the inrush limiter that has failed and the DC bus isn't charging. The only solution is to replace the drive and send it for rebuilding.

If the drive is mounted on a line filter are you checking for voltage into it instead of the drive itself? On the 350s I have here filter terminals are all the way in the back with the screw heads facing toward you. Drive terminals are on top further forward and require bent DMM probes in tight panels.

Another recurring problem with these things is the EEPROM working loose/falling out. Can't remember how far the drive gets on power up when that happens though??

Kinetix 350 New Issue

Okay so I got the new drive in today, installed and it boots up fine. Set our ip address and it is communicating with the plc. when I try to initialize our machine "Manual Mode" I get a fault that says "Axis Fault Hardware Overtravel Positive", then another fault that says "Axis Fault Hardware Overtravel Negative". The machine manufacturer doesn't yet have any answer. I'm getting my rear-end kicked from management, so any help would be Greatly Appreciated!

The overtravel limit checking is on by default. Assuming that the system isn't actually using the overtravel limits, I suspect that the overtravel limits were disabled through a MSG instruction from the PLC initially. This only has to be performed once, but if you change a drive, the MSG must be triggered again to disable the overtravel checking in the drive.

You may run into the same issue with the Enable Input...

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/467773

Drive enable and both hardware overtravels must be wired to +V before the dive will wake up.

Look in the Drive I/O data in your PLC application. Look for errors or alarms or warnings.
Open the Drive under Motion Groups. Sniff around for clues there.

good luck.

You should be able to look at the drive setting through a web browser that supports Java if I remember correctly. This will help you configure the drive for use and point you to the status of the onboard I/O of the drive.

Ron, it's the Kinetix 300 that has a standalone Java-based configurator. Those are the indexing drives that behave like an I/O module on Ethernet.

The Kinetix 350 is a CIP Motion drive that integrates with the Logix motion control subsystem, so all of its configuration (after you get the IP address in via the pushbuttons) is done in the applets for the Drive and the Axis, inside Studio 5000.

The onboard I/O defaults to observing the overtravel and enable inputs, though the configuration to ignore those(as a fault action) should have been loaded to the servo controller when the I/O connection was made.

If OP deleted and re-inserted the drive in the I/O tree of the controller, that might have wiped out all the old settings, or there's something else mis-configured.

In the Axis configuration window, go to the Actions section and scroll down to the Overtravel Positive and Overtravel Negative. Set those to "status only" if they are not being used and are not jumpered out physically on the I/O terminal board.

Ron, it's the Kinetix 300 that has a standalone Java-based configurator. Those are the indexing drives that behave like an I/O module on Ethernet.

The Kinetix 350 is a CIP Motion drive that integrates with the Logix motion control subsystem, so all of its configuration (after you get the IP address in via the pushbuttons) is done in the applets for the Drive and the Axis, inside Studio 5000.

The onboard I/O defaults to observing the overtravel and enable inputs, though the configuration to ignore those(as a fault action) should have been loaded to the servo controller when the I/O connection was made.

If OP deleted and re-inserted the drive in the I/O tree of the controller, that might have wiped out all the old settings, or there's something else mis-configured.

In the Axis configuration window, go to the Actions section and scroll down to the Overtravel Positive and Overtravel Negative. Set those to "status only" if they are not being used and are not jumpered out physically on the I/O terminal board.

I keep forgetting that. I have used a number of the Kinetix 300 drives but only a few of the 350 drives. Sorry for any confusion.

Last month one of my junior engineers spent three days troubleshooting Java, browsers, permissions, and virtual machines trying to get a Kinetix 300 to display its configuration applet.

Turns out that we'd grabbed the wrong drive off the shelf and it was a Kinetix 350.

Should probably look at the dang letters on the front of it, right ?