Cheap cable vs Allen Bradley $$$$ cables

We have 'one' AB SLC 5/04 in our plant (the rest are Modicon) and trying to find a reasonable approach to talking with it instead of replacing it. We already bit the bullet and purchased a RSLogix 500 Starter and downloaded the RSLinx.

Our supplier wants $600+ for a damn [FONT=&quot]1747-UIC cable![/FONT] cable! I found the $30 to $80 cables that claim to work. My question is, do they? Would a USB 1747-CP3 work for me as well?

We're replacing the 5/04 with a 5/05 that has ethernet port, so once we get it configured, we won't need the cable but would like to have something on hand in case we have to replace the processor again.

Dave

WHY ARE YOU WHINING ABOUT ROCKWELL? When you have not invested enough time into it. Like others here already offer you a cheap solution with Serial.

SINCE YOU ARE BRAGGING about Modicon, can you tell us in detail how it compare against Rockwell??

BachPi not too sure what exactly has offended you in the op post.

Lets keep the posts friendly and on point.

Thanks Geniusintraining. I only wish I would've waited and went with one of yours. If the one I get ends up being ****, I'll go to your website.

The 5/04 and 5/05 RS232 port is a good port and should hook up with the one you bought pretty easy, see the link below if you need help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIu1AGUR4N8

They can be configured to DH485 but its not common, if you need help let me know

Mark

Edited: "Never mind, I figured it out"

I messed up by jumping too soon and going with a cheap cable and now I need a driver for it. Anyone know where I might be able to find one? I'm trying to contact the seller on Ebay, but no response yet. If there's a generic driver out there, let me know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172364214290

Next move will be purchasing one from plccables.com. I should have done that first... but want to try finding a driver first.

Last edited:
I got a response from the seller with a link to the driver. It's not working yet... we'll see if he can get me some instructions. Thanks

First thing are you sure that you have a 5/04 processor
the 5/04 has 2 ports default channel 0 is RE232 all you need t connect is a NULL modem cable
Channel 2 is Data Highway Plus on those. there is a company that makes a cable for that makes a cable for that but they are expensive.

what I have found with the 5/04's is that somebody always reconfigures channel 1 for something special when they do that there no o way to get access using channel 1
you have to reset the processor back to the default factory settings. when you do that you lose whatever program and setting the ore in the processor.
The last few I tried to reset failed and I never could get in.

the cheapest way is to use a null modem cable.

With any kind of luck, we'll have a 5/05 by the end of the week installed. Then we'll be able to talk to it via ethernet cable. Unless it dies, then we'll use this cable I just purchased to get in and set up the IP again.

Thanks for all the help from everyone! This site rocks!

Dave

GaryS said:
First thing are you sure that you have a 5/04 processor
the 5/04 has 2 ports default channel 0 is RE232 all you need t connect is a NULL modem cable
Channel 2 is Data Highway Plus on those. there is a company that makes a cable for that makes a cable for that but they are expensive.

what I have found with the 5/04's is that somebody always reconfigures channel 1 for something special when they do that there no o way to get access using channel 1
you have to reset the processor back to the default factory settings. when you do that you lose whatever program and setting the ore in the processor.
The last few I tried to reset failed and I never could get in.

the cheapest way is to use a null modem cable.

GaryS,

I'm sorry but I don't like seeing misinformation go uncorrected where I think it matters to the opening poster, and possibly others. It might also matter to you.

I reckon you probably know the following, based on your first reply, and it's just that you've gotten a little muddled up in how you have described it the second time.

There are technically 3 communication ports on an SLC 5/04 controller but there is no Channel 2...

Channel 0 bottom is the configurable RS232 serial communications port - DF1, DH485 protocol, etc.

Channel 1 (not 2) top is the fixed DH+ communications port. It is not configurable. You can only communicate with this port using the DH+ protocol.

The third and middle port is a programming port which is also DH+. You would only use the middle port to connect from a programming workstation via a DH+ interface. The top and middle ports are linked internally and as such are both referred to as Channel 1 DH+.

The communications channel that is often configured away from its default protocol is of course the Channel 0 RS232 communications port and its default DF1 protocol. Again, Channel 1 is fixed for the DH+ protocol and cannot be reconfigured to another protocol.

If Channel 0 has been reconfigured, and is no longer using its default DF1 protocol, then we cannot say that all that is required to communicate with this port is a null-modem cable. If it is reconfigured to use the DH-485 protocol, for instance, then a suitable DH-485 interface will be required, such as a 1747-UIC interface converter. (We won't mention the 1747-PIC interface. You and I have been there before.) With a working 1747-UIC, it should not be too difficult to establish communications to the point where a factory default would be required.

If Channel 0 is configured to either default DF1, or the DH-485 protocol, and one has the means to connect to this port, on an otherwise healthy controller, then one should not need to default the controller.

If Channel 0 is configured in such a way that communications cannot be established, Shutdown for instance, and one does not have the means to connect to the Channel 1 DH+ ports, then a factory default may be necessary. But it should not normally be necessary when one has the means to connect via DF1 or DH-485.

Note: For older firmware (pre FRN 8) the SLC 5/04 controller's Channel 0 port will default to 1200 baud rate for the DF1 protocol. For newer firmware (post FRN 8) it will default to the more popular and expected 19.2kBaud. This catches many a user out for older firmware controllers.

Also, and we may be polar opposites in this; I have never had a healthy SLC processor (5/03/4/5) for which I could not sucessfully factory default it. I won't say it worked first time everytime but after a couple of goes, yes. The often quoted 60 seconds shorting time is often not long enough to discharge the capacitor. I was always told 90 seconds, minimum. But I tend to go to 2 minutes, minimum, just to be sure. I won't accuse you of having accidentally left the battery connected during those unsuccessful attempts, so I'm just mentioning it here as a general reminder.

I always like to post this simple information whenever I see someone struggling with SLCs and attempting to communicate with their Channel 0 RS232 serial ports. And also when a lot of well intended advice is specifying which type of protocol communications equipment the OP should be purchasing, before attempting to ascertain which protocol the port is actually using...

Geospark said:
...To tell which protocol Channel 0 is set for, unplug any cable, and watch the RS232 LED...

If it remains Off, then it is set for DF1

If it flashes slowly then it is set for DH-485...

However, I would always be an advocate of us SLC sadists carrying a 1747-UIC interface "in the bag".

Regards,
George

With any kind of luck, we'll have a 5/05 by the end of the week installed. Then we'll be able to talk to it via ethernet cable. Unless it dies, then we'll use this cable I just purchased to get in and set up the IP again.

Thanks for all the help from everyone! This site rocks!

Dave

Hey Dave.... not that I dont like selling cables but you can just Ethernet and you dont need to use the CP3 cable, Allen Bradley has a software called BootP that will let you just set the IP address using the Ethernet cable

This is the Bootp utility http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/relianceelectricdrives/bootp-utility.page

Then you can send that cable back to the ebay seller ;)

We also have videos if needed https://www.plccable.com/support-videos-compatibility/

Best of luck!