UL 508a shop requirements

plclady

My company is designing a new panel shop to be built. We are planning to become UL 508a certified. Where can I find the requirements for the building area?

Thank you for responding with that link. We are not ready to certify or train because we are just in the design phase for the shop. I am looking for the layout requirements such as required work area dimensions, lighting, power, furnishings, etc. Any idea where to find that?

They only care that the panels are made to the specification you could make them in a moldy basement with candle light so long as they meet the requirements in the code.

Oh, and so long as you have a calibrated torque screwdriver somewhere in the building.

I agree, UL doesn't care what your shop looks like or how it's laid out. That's up to you. They are not about efficiency, just procedures and documentation.

That said, if you exhibit sloppiness in either area, they will visit you more often, which they charge you for.

We got our 508A, and our shop is 30 years old. Basically a bench with an overhead light. For what it's worth, 8 years of 508A and we haven't sold a single sticker yet. When customers see the price we quote as an option, they decide 508A isn't all that important after all. We still build all of our panels to 508A anyway, but no money, no sticker lol.

We do 100's a year but we have a few customers that require it. We mostly build to 508A anyway, even when we don't list a panel so we usually don't charge if someone requests it.

We did have an exception recently where someone wanted a recognized component in a listed panel and we had to get a procedure written by UL. That cost was significant and had to be passed on to the customer.

Oh, and so long as you have a calibrated torque screwdriver somewhere in the building.

+1

And don't forget your torque requirement labels...sometimes I think that's ALL they look for. My last inspector, for a panel we built here and shipped to our facility in PA, looked in the panel and even stated out loud "Wow, you have all of your torque requirements labeled!"