Allen Bradley Servo Feedback Question

Austin1985

If you have a servo encoder setup as Absolute, and the MAM has a position number set to ‘X’; does the servo move that ‘X’ every time the MAM is executed?

I would have thought that the encoder setup has to be incremental in order to give a MAM the same position number every time.

Running the encoder as absolute, the position number for the MAM would have to increase or decrease every time in order to know what direction to move? If you execute that MAM with the same position number the servo wouldn’t move because it’s already at that position??

This is all based off the position units set to 360 and the travel set to unlimited.

Running Studio 5000

The type of encoder is not relevant to the MAM instruction.
One of the parameters to the MAM is the move type - absolute or incrememental.
If the move is a absolute move then the axis will move to the position specified, if the axis is already there, no move takes place.
If the move is incremental, than the axis will move by the distance specified in the instruction.