Siemens S5 Programming Software

I have a customer that wants to upload a PLC program from a Siemens S5 PLC (115U CPU942).

It's a DB15 Female connector on the CPU.

What software and cable adapter would you guys recommend?

It looks like to me S5 for Windows might be the cheapest and best solution. Maybe they have it in English.

I guess the Siemens brand software is rather expensive.

But, I have no idea what cable or adapter to use.

In the end they want to upgrade to a Rockwell PLC.

Have a look at the IBH SoftTec web site. They selling a Siemens S5 software which runs on Windows. They sell the appropriate lead as well. I have no luck so far to go online with the old DOS Siemens software on windows (even running it in DosBox does not help). I don't know how well the later Siemens versions work.

Last edited:
Siemens has stopped selling the old programming software STEP5.
So you have only S5 for Windows (yes it comes in english too). But that is OK, since the Siemens software was truly arcaic, and very very expensive.

You dont have a printout of the existing program ?
Without symbols or comments it will be a beastly job to reverse engineer the old program.
If I were in your situation I would investigate how the machine works by observing it, I would interview the operators how they operate it now or want to operate it in the future.
Then start all over with a new program.

Having a backup for security purposes is OK without symbols or comments but if you want to do any work on it then you would do much better finding the original program complete with symbols and comments - even as a printout.

Reverse engineering is a long and costly exercise.

Nick

I have a customer that wants to upload a PLC program from a Siemens S5 PLC (115U CPU942).

It's a DB15 Female connector on the CPU.

What software and cable adapter would you guys recommend?

It looks like to me S5 for Windows might be the cheapest and best solution. Maybe they have it in English.

I guess the Siemens brand software is rather expensive.

But, I have no idea what cable or adapter to use.

In the end they want to upgrade to a Rockwell PLC.

Take a look to this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=106246

You can use this PC-TTY cable that work fine with IBHSOFTEC :
http://www.plccable.com/siemens-simatic-plc-s5-tty-programming-cable/

If you don't have a real serial port, you can use this adapter with PC-TTY cable. http://www.plccable.com/usb-to-rs232-plc-programming-cable-special-plctalk-net/

I fully recomend www.plccable.com