Compact Logix Comms Problem

mrdmrd

Hello again everyone

well seeing how you guys seem to be able to help me with problems better then Rockwell can I will put another one on the table for you.

We have a Compact Logix system, When I go into RSLinks I can see the Ethernet address, click on it it shows the backplane, click on that and it only shows the ehternet port, but not the processor not even the processor with the red X it shows only the ehternet port.

We had the designer of the system in the other day and he does not have any problems getting online with it via ethernet on his laptop which he sets to the same IP address as mine. (not both on the system at the same time) A while back I posted a question about going on line with a Control Logix processor, it ended up that I had to load the other versions of RSlogix5000. Before I did this I was able to go online with the Compact Logix via ethernet.

We have tried to reload the EDS files for the Compact logix processor, no luck. We installed RSLinks version 2.50, no help. I do not think that the problem is with RSLogix because I can not even get Links to see the processor like the designer can on his laptop, After clicking on the backplane he has two nodes one for the processor and one for the ethernet port.

Any Ideas??
I am sure that I left some information out that you might need but just ask and I will get you the answer.

Did you try to delete harmony files from RSCOMMON folder?
The second guess try to remove EDS files for this controller and reinstall them again.
They may be corrupted.

Can you see controller's webpage with internet explorer?

Last edited:
In addition to Contr_Conn's suggestions do you have any internet security, Windows firewall, or anything else that blocks ports?

This is assuredly an EDS registration problem. The fact that you could previously browse this controller then lost that ability when you installed older software also indicates an EDS registration problem.

Because you've had a few installation and re-installation operations that didn't resolve this problem, you're likely going to have to remove, un-register, and re-register these EDS files manually.

I'm not an expert in doing that, but I can provide some information from the installation on my work PC, which I use successfully with ControlLogix and CompactLogix every day.

I know that CompactLogix has separate EDS files for the controller and the network daughtercard; I think there is also an EDS for the "backplane" of the CompactLogix.

I presume you're using a 1769-L32E or -L35E. Which revision of firmware do you have loaded into the controller ?

Also, it would be helpful to know if you can connect to the CompactLogix RS-232 port and browse the controller and backplane from there.

I do not think that it is a problem with the Ethernet port because I use the same port to connect to our network to access all of our SLC-500 PLC's.

We have tried to un-install the EDS files.

As for the firmware version I am not sure of the exact number but it is 15 something, we were using RSlogix wersion 15.01 or what ever it is.

"Can you see controller's webpage with internet explorer?"
I am afraid that I do not know how to do this or I am confused on what you are asking, can someone help?

I can go online with the DH-485 Driver using the RS232 port without any problems, it is jsut a pain because the Baud rate is set to 9600 and it takes forever to upload.

I have not tried to delete the Harmony files from RSCommon as of yet, what do these files do?

Open internet explorer and type IP address.
You should see internal webpages.

I believe EDS files are OK because you can get via serial port.
But can you navigate to the Ethernet port while going over serial?

Most likely harmony files are corrupted.
Harmony files are internal cache and safe to delete.

It should be 2 files named harmony in
C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCOMMON

Stop RSlinx service first.

Reboot PC after you deleted them

Last edited:
Guys here is a screen shot of what I an seeing in RSlinks. This was taken after I had disconnected the PLC from the company network and simply connected my laptop directly to the ethernet port.

I did try to look at the processor home page but I was unable to see it. (by the way this function is realyl cool, I tried it on some other PLCs we have and it worked great)

I tried to delete the Harmony files as directed and no luck.

Thanks to everyone that has tried to help

Compact_Logix.JPG

Are you using a crossover cable while connecting directly to the PLC Ethernet port? Straight through cable will not work

The fact that you see other devices without a red X while disconnected makes no sence at all.

If you can't see a webpage, then you are not talking to the ethernet module.
Can you ping the controller?

Can you post a similar screenshot while connected via serial port?

Also right click on the IP address and select "remove" - see if it comes back.

As Ken mentioned this could be a backplane EDS file issue

Ok everyone the problem is solved, I am not sure if it is the right way but it is working again.
Here are some screen shots of the process I took to make it work again.

This is what it looked like before I started.
control_logix_2.jpg

I Right Clicked on the BackPlane Icon and went to BackPlane Properties, then advanced browse settings. The pull down menu was set to Direct serial connection to device, I changed it to ControlLogix Backplane, and pressed OK.
control_logix_4.jpg

This is what it looked like after making this change, everything is visible again. I then put the PLC ethernet cable back into the network switch and tested, I am now able to go online with it again. Thanks again to everyone that responded to my question.
control_logix_3.jpg

Well that is something I didn't expect. You would have had to manually set the driver to DF1 Direct, and I thought that kind of setting gets removed when you redefine a driver (which you would have had to do when you installed RSLinx 2.50).

I have never used the "force communications type" feature. Every time I click past it I think "I'm going to have to read up on that and figure out when this is used", but I never have.

I'm glad you got your problem solved. I'll keep that information in mind when troubleshooting future driver setting issues.

I am running on little sleep and I don't remember if the box was checked when I went into the properties, or if I selected after making the change.

I figured what the heck do I have to lose, if it does not work I can always change it back.

Like I said I am sure that it is not the right way to fix it but it is "A" way to fix it.

This check box should not be checked at all, at least I never had to do it.

The backplane still looks incorrect, it should be compact type instead of contrologix you see

l35.jpg

Like I said I know that it is not the right was but I was able to go online, make edits, ect after this so for me this is a victory in a sense.

I am still open to idea to try if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing the problem.

i had the same problem and had to uninstall adn reinstall rslinx. disable adn anti-virus and windows firewall. the uninstall failed on ours,but tech support was able guide through the registry and delete several obscure entries for linx.