SLC 500 5/03 is not Resetting to Factory Default

You might have to short it for several minutes

Hi thanks for the hint.

I removed the memory then tried to powered Up , Bingo it worked to communicate it on RS232 and detecting in RS232 DF1..

But now the query is when i connect back the memory module it stop to communicate.
My observation is that, it is loading the program from memory module and setting back the default operation of RS232 port to ASCII..

Now how to overcome this????:confused::confused::confused:

With the memory module removed look at program in processor under processor status, memory module tab and see which one has a 1 in it set them all to 0, I haven't had that much experience with them so hopefully some one can clarify better

If the program in the memory module is not needed the just leave it out. Develop your needed application. Make sure to turn off any bits in the processor area which load the memory module on power up. After your application is tested you can decide if you wish to reuse the memory module as backup.

Just so you know - with the memory module installed, each time you reset it to factory default it most likely did reset successfully. However, if the memory module is configured to "Load Memory Module On Memory Error S:1/10" then the program stored on the memory module was being automatically loaded into the processor's memory at power up after each reset.

It could also have "Load Memory Module Always S:1/11" set. This means the processor does not have to experience any memory clear or error; the memory module will load its program to the processor after each power cycle and then go to which ever mode the processor was in before the power cycle (Rem RUN, Rem PROG, etc.).

Or it could also have "Load Memory Module and RUN S:1/12" set. This, similar to S:1/11 being set, will also load the memory module program into the processor at each power cycle, except that it will always attempt to go to RUN mode, regardless of which mode the processor was in before the power cycle.

All that aside, you cannot change what is currently set in the memory module without first communicating with the processor while the memory module is installed - something you cannot do at the moment.

Also, for clarity...

This is the correct procedure to default the SLC 5/03 processor...

--------------------------------
SLC 500 (5/03, 5/04 & 5/05)

IMPORTANT: Jumper J4 on the processor must be set to the PROTECT position.

Pin 3 is not jumpered it is open. Pins 1 and 2 are jumpered.

NOTE: Jumper J4 is used to Protect the Processor Firmware, and is not related to the Ladder Application.

1. Remove Power
2. Remove CPU Module
3. Skip this step if a Memory Module is not installed, otherwise, remove Memory Module (1747-M11, 1747-M12, or 1747-M13)
4. Disconnect Battery
5. Locate the GND and VBB points on the back side of the processor module
6. Using a small flat blade screw driver short the GND and VBB points for 60 Seconds

NOTE: Make sure that you have a good metal-to-metal connection
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes it can take up to 90 seconds or more to discharge the backup capacitor.

The communications configuration for channel 0 (RS-232) in the program stored on the memory module must have the protocol set to something other than DF1. Possibly DH-485? Communication ports can even be configured to "Shutdown" so there is no communications available. For it to be set to the ASCII protocol, the "Mode" setting would also have to be changed from the default "System" setting to "User". ASCII is only available as a User protocol.

Either way, it would appear that it is not configured for DF1.

Normally, with the memory module program loaded, you could go online using the DH-485 channel 1 port, and then see which protocol channel 0 is using. But you have said that you do not have a suitable DH-485 interface.

So it appears that you currently have no way to communicate with the processor to modify the memory module program so that you can communicate with it - catch 22.

Following Bernie's advice - I would agree that the best solution is to discard the memory module and load your own program, if you have one or that is your goal.

But...

nikhilbcs said:
...Now how to overcome this????

If the only copy of the program you want to load into the processor is on the memory module then you are going to have to get a DH-485 interface and attempt to go online with the channel 1 DH-485, or even channel 0, if it happens to be also set to the DH-485 protocol.

To tell which protocol an SLC channel 0 RS-232 port is currently set to...

Geospark said:
...To tell which protocol Channel 0 is set for, unplug any cable, and watch the RS232 LED...

If it remains Off, then it is set for DF1

If it flashes slowly then it is set for DH-485...

I think that's about it on where you are at and where you can go?

Regards,
George

Last edited: