Purchasing RSLogix 5/500/5000

HoldenC

Ive never purchased a copy of RsLogix, Ive always had a work computer with it pre-installed that I used.

Im now being asked to travel to a few different plants and do work, with a variety of AB plcs so I was looking into a license for all 3 platforms.

Theres just one thing Im confused on. Do i need to specify which version of each software I need ?

For instance would i buy RsLogix 5000, or would i need to buy RsLogix 5000 V19 ? Same question for all other versions of Logix.

Talk to your distributor, I think for 5 and 500 you will get the newest version and are backward compatible with the earlier versions, for 5000 you will need to get the license then you can download the versions you will need from their website after your software license is registered you will just go to your customer and find out what version they are using, I know a lot of them will be using 19 and 21 but then after that I think its Studio

Here is some reading material and they also have the part numbers you will need to order

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/products/rslogix.page

So you will need 3 licences, and that will get you the latest version of each of the software packages.

These are of course, only on download, unless you pay extra for the DVD.

Logix 5 and 500, the latest version will be fine..

Studio5000, you may want to download many versions and install them all, as you will need to match the firmware version with the software version.
And think about the package you want - a sample guide is attached.

You may want to think about RSNetworx as well - for ControlNet and Devicenet.

CCW is a free download.
RSLinx Lite comes with the Logix software.

Thanks so much for that information.

I know I will need the Standard Network Edition of RsLogix 5000.

Is Studio 5000 considered a different product than RsLogix 5000, or is it just a new name for newer versions ?

Im checking out that link right now.

Is Studio 5000 considered a different product than RsLogix 5000, or is it just a new name for newer versions ?

Just a new name for the later versions, same license will support older RSLogix 5000 and newer Studio 5000 versions.

Each installs separately, so I normally install all versions from 13 up to 19, then the newer ones as needed. Be prepared to spend a lot of time downloading them if you can't wait for the delivery of a DVD.

Also, there are multiple options for licenses. There is a version that supports all PLC models and only ladder logic, and a version that supports only Compactlogix, and you can add the "MLP" (multiple language pack) if you need to support structured text and function block programming.

If money is not object, get the Pro version with everything. If cost is a concern, you may want to pare it down to just what is needed.

For 5000, you can access the version that was out during the lifetime of your service agreement. For example, if your support expired in 2010 and version 21 was out 2010 you will have access to version 21 and before.

If you want to do this as a one man integrator shop, look into Rockwell's integrator program which you will get all their software but on a annual subscription basis.