Windows XP and Siemens software

Borte

Hello!

Have anyone here had any experience with Windows XP and any siemens software?

I'm looking for a new laptop but it is only configured for WinXP, so I need to know if I can use the siemens software on this os.

Regards
Borte

I've been using S7 on my XP machine for about 8 months now, and am satisfied. I thought I found a couple of bugs that were XP related, but it turned out that they were V5.2 related instead (Siemens is coming out with V5.3 this month). Go ahead and get the XP box.

I have been using Step 7 v 5.1 SP6 with Windows XP for over a year. Works great with the CP5511 Lan adapter. I don't use ethernet b/c I dont have the softnet package.
With Protool v5.2, I had a lot of system errors and the program would close. I upgraded to protool 6 and it is very stable.
The lastest DriveMonitor and Starter progs work with no problems

Last edited:
You may have problems using a CP5511(PCMCIA adapter) with XP, the CP5512 works and they have a USB adapter now but I have not used it.

I currently have the CP5512 so that should be ok, I also checked the compatiblity list from siemens and it seems to be ok if I stay on versions above 5.2 (or higher).

The next thing that would be a consern regarding a new laptop would be that the serial ports have been replaced with usb, have anyone tried to download from protool over usb to serial connection?

Regars
Borte

I had a Belkin USB adapter and a pcmcia serial adapter, I used both to reload programs in OP17's. The hardest part with Siemens was waiting for a version of Simatic S7 that would run in XP, I got that laptop about a year before they released an XP version.

Ok guys!

I have now ordered my new laptop with a XP system.
So I guess all i can do is wait and see...

Thanks for the help

Regards
Borte

Hello,
I have just upgraded a Siemens PG with XPPro + SP2 & Step7 V5.3 & it works fine, it also contains the ehernet driver so no need for softnet PG, note you may have to disable the firewall in SP2 not sure if this affects S7 but you need to for RSLinx, I have about twenty software packages on XPPro for PLC's & HMI's & so far no problems although be aware of some pitfalls of a new laptop.
1. no floppy for licence disks.
2. no RS232 port so a usb to 232 is needed but some packages don't like them.
also must be XPPro as a lot of plc packages do not work on XPhome.

parky said:
Hello,
I have just upgraded a Siemens PG with XPPro + SP2 & Step7 V5.3 & it works fine, ... note you may have to disable the firewall in SP2 not sure if this affects S7 but you need to for RSLinx, I have about twenty software packages on XPPro for PLC's & HMI's & so far no problems although be aware of some pitfalls of a new laptop...
Thats great, because we have received warnings from both Siemens and Rockwell to not use Win XP SP2 . Maybe they are too cautious about that SP version.

Have anyone used PCS7 with XP pro? Will this work? Any Bugs that I should be aware of? We are thinking about upgrading our computers to allow for better performance with WinCC. The computers are running a little slow right now with NT.
They are P3 500's. ahhh the pain!!!

Hello guys!

Just a quick status update on my part since this old tread was braught back from the land of old posts....

I've been running XP Pro + SP2 since SP2 came out and haven't had any problems so far.

I'm using Step7 V5.2 and some other siemens software without any problems.
WinCC 5.2 will not work on the other hand, it has to be WinCC 6.

I've also used both CP5511 and CP5512 in the same computer without problems.

I'm also using zonealarm instead of the XP firewall so I don't know if the SP2 firewall is creating any problems.

Regards
Borte

A small update :)

I ordered a new PC for a project and forgot to specify Win XP SP1. So when it finally landed on my desk it had SP2 (arrgh, dammit).
You cant just downgrade to SP1 so what to do ? :unsure:

OK try to install various software packages and see how it goes.
Simatic Softnet S7 v6.2 refuses to install ! It checks for the OS version and simply wont install at all. banghead

Hmmm.... try to install v6.1 (from before SP2 was launched).
And AHA ! It not only installs, it works too - hurrah !! :p OPC browser and all works as intended.

XP firewall is not activated.