Slc 5/03 to slc/5/05 conversion

dcam

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, Happy new year!
Tonight I need to upgrade the processor and network our provolone machine.
I have read some older posts here on the conversion and I am concerned it may not be straight forward. Anything i should be aware of before starting. I will use Factory Talk to associate the panel view (5.1) with the the processor after the conversion with my laptop. Ive already loaded the program onto the new processor, a window I have never seen popped up having me acknowledge
some sort of file modification, when i downloaded to 5/05....shoulda took a pict.

No pictures here? only link attachments? ok

You have to link attachments. The upgrade should be very straight forward. The only thing that might cause issue is going to be comms. How was the 5/03 connected? If DH+ or serial, be aware that once you set your comm 0 channel for the serial port, you won't be able to connect over that serial port, only ethernet. Because of this, make sure that you have your ethernet port configured and tested prior to install.

im having issues with the panel view comms......looks like you were spot on. Dont see the panel view iP , went to adapter settings and changed.....it was serial before.

So if your PV is going to be using ethernet then you need to set up the ethernet address in the 5/05. Set channel 0 (the serial) to "RS232 DF1". I can't remember exactly what it is called, but that is close. Now you will have to go through any messaging logic that is set up for the old DH+ / RS232 connection and configure it to use ethernet.

Note: Since you said "Don't see the panel view iP" I'm assuming that your panel view is on an ethernet connection. The above will change if that isn't the case. If it still doesn't work get us an exact part number of the panel view, what interface it is connecting with.

So.....i was asked to network a provolone machine that used a SLC 5/03 and a panel view V5.1.
I set up the processor SLC 5/05 (ethernet cabable) and installed in chasis. I can see the SLC 5/05 on the network. when i try to assign an IP to the panel view it will not take it. I defaulted the panel view ..which i think was a bad idea. TRied another panel view and had the same problem.....I just started programming panel views a few monthe ago. I need to see the panel view in the network to download the new runtime file with new ethernet comm path.........im kinda lost now.

Last edited:
changed out the panel view for one that was already ethernet enabled. The original panel view seemed to only have the DF drivers. Anyways , thank you. its up and running.

showing a df com fault i cannot get ride of though....lol

sparkie said:
...get us an exact part number of the panel view...

For your own benefit - This is always important to provide the Forum members when they ask as it gives us a clear indication which PanelView terminal(s) you are working with and which options it supports. As you say you are relatively new to working with these terminals, it is possibly even more important as, from my reading of your comments above, it may be likely that you were attempting to plug an Ethernet cable/network into a PanelView terminal that supports the DH-485 communications protocol and has a native RJ-45 port for DH-485 only. This port is the same as is used for standard Ethernet interfacing. If this were the case, then you may run the risk of damaging the terminal, your workstation computer/laptop, or other appliances on the Ethernet network. The DH-485 RJ-45 port on these type terminals are not electrically compatible with Ethernet signalling and equipment.

Note: a PanelView terminal that does not support Ethernet, and has no actual Ethernet port, may still show or allow an Ethernet communications driver under the RSLinx Enterprise configuration in the terminal's menu. This of course does not make the terminal automatically Ethernet capable. So it is quite common for users to see or add the driver while mixing up the DH-485 port as an Ethernet port.

However, if you do actually have an Ethernet capable terminal, and for some reason there is no Ethernet driver showing under RSLinx Enterprise in the terminal's menu, then you can add one to RSLinx Enterprise in FactoryTalk View Studio under the Communications Setup>Runtime (Target) tab. You can then download or transfer this updated application file to the terminal (via USB if no communications working) and then the Ethernet driver will show. I think this download update is what you were trying to do? But again, it must be an actual Ethernet capable terminal.

Providing the assembled catalog number from the terminal's sticker would help us greatly in ruling this in or out for you. Hopefully that is not what was happening, and you are sure they were all Ethernet capable, but we here on the Forum cannot be sure of that while trying to assist you.

Regards,
George