Off topic But call me crazy or stupid

I don't have a problem distinguishing between the possessive and the contraction.
My problem is in remembering whether "its" or "it's" is the exception to the general rule.
The exception to the rule is actually "its" because that is the possessive but the general rule for forming the possessive is to add an apostrophe + s to the end of the noun.
Best I can come up with is to remember that "hers" and "yours" are both possessive pronouns and they don't use the apostrophe.

its-vs-its.png

The above is how I remember "its vs. It's"
What frustrates me is "than vs. Then" I guess I just never grasped that one when it was being taught.

I wish Greg7683 all the best in finding a new job. Sometimes a fresh start is what is needed.

I do not think that the grammar lessons that have been posted in this thread from those that obviously consider themselves superior are in any way helpful or appropriate.

Spent 20 years in a dead end job making mortgage payments, unappreciated, treated like a number. Left 3 years ago, got a job in less than a month making more money and being appreciated.

Learned more in the next 2 years than previous 20 years about control, got a motion class thrown in and was good to go. Management at new place spiraled out of control (plant manager literally nuts), took my new skills job hunting and had a new job with more money and learning opportunity in a week.

Never look back, always keep learning. I wasted 20 years of my life in a "job", the next 20 are going to be spent on being the best I can at a career.

Never look back, always be on the lookout for a better place, companies are no longer to employees, you don't owe them anything but an honest days work and best effort for pay.

Many years ago, when I heard stories about bad managers, I used to think there is no way those stories could be true. Well, experience has proven me wrong. I have seen a lot of stupid things, and I constantly wonder how some companies can stay in business, let alone thrive. Moving on from a bad situation is good. There are good companies out there, and I have had several good managers that saw my value.

I do think that the grammar lessons here are well intended and are meant to help the original poster in his career. When your first line of contact is email or a letter, that is the impression someone is going to get from you. My best professor(in grad school) was an excellent teacher, had a PhD, and had actual practical knowledge. He was also a horrible speller. The students were constantly helping him spell as he wrote on the board. It didn't really matter, though, because he wasn't a dummy, but just a bad speller.

More than once I've ran into people that were terrible spellers. It really isn't a big deal to spell something wrong. I really didn't expect the grammar thing to take off.

That being said, learning to use a period, and perhaps an occasional comma can't be overstated in importance of expressing your ideas.

I wish Greg7683 all the best in finding a new job. Sometimes a fresh start is what is needed.

I do not think that the grammar lessons that have been posted in this thread from those that obviously consider themselves superior are in any way helpful or appropriate.

Hell no, kick someone while they're down, much less likely to fight back.

(Obvious sarcasm hopefully)

Greg, all the best in whatever you find to fit your needs.

The poor guy is having a pretty terrible day.
He came here looking for a virtual hug from his peers.
I don't think dispelling your own annoyances with peoples grammar was really necessary. If you had the kind of day this OP was having would you want someone to come on and say "tough ****, by the way you cant spell and your unprofessional"

This is a classic case of old vs new. A text message with abbreviations and slang is more then acceptable in today's world. Especially to a peer during a commissioning on site or the like. My boss regularly texts me.

Perhaps not acceptable to a boss while in an office setting typing an email.

Since we are all Controls people here i for one know i occasionally look for non technical support from my peers. We all should be supporting each other with technical and non-technical knowledge so we can grow as a community and industry. Even if that is just a virtual high five on a forum or a That-A-Boy.

Kicking this poor guy in the rear after a tough day is bad form.

To the OP, i am sorry its been rough day. I feel exactly like you do some days. Like others have said, there is much work to be had. You will find something quickly I bet. Many people don't understand that without us, they make no money yet we often get little respect. Even if your previous company doesn't respect you, i do. I thank you for your hardwork.

Good luck

I'm just going to make a suggestion here, especially on a professional forum, take a bit of time and learn to use punctuation and at least make an attempt at proper grammar. Everyone makes mistakes as such, but even on a cell phone there is no excuse for not putting in the effort to make your thoughts readable. You want to send a text like that to your buddy, fine, but this is a forum of professionals and as mentioned above, the controls field is quite small.

Now that you are searching for a job, more than ever, you need to put your best foot forward, and a run-on sentence is far from the best way to do that. Good luck in your future endeavors and stick around, I'm sure you will find a new job before you know it!

Making a suggestion to use proper punctuation is not kicking a guy when he's down.
Go back and read Sparkie's reply.
Its just plain old good advice.

Making a suggestion to use proper punctuation is not kicking a guy when he's down.
Go back and read Sparkie's reply.
Its just plain old good advice.

I would suggest i don't need to go back and re-read his comment. Made evident by its quoted in my post.

Never did i say it was bad advice.

What was implied (by ME) is, there is a time and place for suggestions of that manner.
This wasn't the time or place.

Case in point, being critical of someones post while they have endured a negative event for the day is the definition of "kicking someone when they are down"

The OP needed a little support in my opinion. Critiquing his grammar is not regarded as support.

I think its wise to consider yourself in his position and think how you might feel if you had that kind of day and then someone went off and said "hey by the way, your unprofessional".

Do you know what the statistics are for suicide in the United States after a lay off or firing? I cant say that i do, but i would bet they are fairly high. Im not some softy but i think it wise to not add to peoples pain.

I recommend we let this thread go....

We all wish the best for Greg in his new job once he gets one and we will all be here to help him with his programming/automation needs.

Back to automation.

🍻

(EDIT: and no.... it's not because I can't spell for **** and my grammar is the worst one on the site, just because, enough is enough)

Last edited:
Nope,
He didn't get laid off or get fired.
He Quit.
They were not treating him right, so he left. Good for him.

He's a big boy and can either take or leave the advice given to him.
I'm just throwing out my opinion that it is good advice, and that this is the exact time that he should read it.