Bluetooth & 1200 MicroLogix

atgroff

I have 2 overhead cranes with 1200 MicroLogix SLC's in them and would like to communicate with them wirelessly. I seen the Bluetooth stuff and was wondering if anyone could help me out on what I need & where to get it. I will be using a Toshiba Satellite notebook and it has 2 PCMCIA slots. I have tried going through my local A-B dealer and he did not know what I was talking about, and he did not think it could be done.

I've never tried it, but I think it's very unlikely that it would work. Bluetooth is designed for very short range communication inside a single room typically < 10m. So by the time you take the shielding effect of the crane body into effect, the chances of it working must be tending to zero.

I agree, Bluetooth was not designed for industrial applications. Take a look at 900Mhz wireless modems instead. They work well in metal buildings, the signal bounces well, and there's a large selection to choose from. 1.8Ghz can carry more data, but in my opinion are not as forgiving (signal wise) as the 900's.

Ken

a friend of mine is an engineer for a large mining company that has quarries all over the midwest. they have been using wireless communications, on-site, for several years now. as i understand it, they can sit in a main control room near the office facilities, and control rock crushers, conveyors, automatic truck loading facilities, pumps, etc., via a desktop p.c. and a "wonderware" program, through a wireless network setup. they probably use some sort of wireless modems. not sure about all the specifics, but it looked pretty cool to me. i wish we had something like that where i work i believe they can also access a specific plc and monitor the program as it runs too.

danatech