Crimson 3.0 Emulator and Windows 64-bit

Thank you, OkiePC, glad to hear that.

I am using Windows 7 Professional, Crimson 3.0 Build 702.004, and I get the following messages when I invoke the Emulator:

Download Database via Emulator Connection
Status
ERROR - Timeout waiting for reply frame.
Do not power off the target device during this process.
Close

or

Status
ERROR - Unable to open communications port.
Close

And then, I get:

Emulator Executable
Emulator Executable has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
Debug
Close program

Would you have any suggestions?
Thank you

Thank you, OkiePC, glad to hear that.

I am using Windows 7 Professional, Crimson 3.0 Build 702.004, and I get the following messages when I invoke the Emulator:

Status
ERROR - Timeout waiting for reply frame.
Close

Wait a full 3 seconds, click abort, click send (lightning bolt icon)

or

Status
ERROR - Unable to open communications port.
Close

Same as above, except I think it is best to bring focus to the emulator screen and hit escape...then send update again, get the first error, wait 3 seconds, abort, send again...

And then, I get:

Emulator Executable
Emulator Executable has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
Debug
Close program

Would you have any suggestions?
Thank you

Open task manager > processes, kill g3sim.exe.

Try again. if it bombs out again, kill it again in task manager, then in Crimson go into Link > Options > Under "Panel Emulation" click Configure > Under Emulator Memory Image click "Delete Files", then repeat your attempt to run the emulator.

I have not used the emulator much recently with RSLogix 5000 drivers/PACs, but I use it daily with Micrologix/SLC PLCs. I do have to put up with the 3 seconds delay and resend to use it effectively, but if I don't try to rush, and wait the full 3 seconds, then abort and send again I very rarely ever have the g3sim.exe lock up and have to kill it manually, but once in a while, it still happens.

Last edited:
The error happens too fast to allow for 3 seconds before hitting "Abort". I had forgot about the "Delete Files" option, so I experimented with it. I would delete files every time, and when clicking on the lighting bolt (Update), the application would load "Item xxx" etc, rapidly changing numbers, but when it reached "Starting Application" the program would crash. Over and over. Both under Win 7 Pro and Win 8.1 (in a WM).

Then I thought about the application itself. I created a blank application with just one tag and one display, and it worked! Every time! With no tricks whatsoever!

So, now I guess I have to dismantle my application one piece at a time and see what part prevents the Emulator from running.

Well just yesterday I was working on a Crimson file for a PLC-5 with a serial driver and ran into the problem with the emulator crashing. I wanted to compare my new HMI with the old PV1200 before we removed the old unit. So I used the emulator in my laptop to do this comparison.

While I was running the emulator with the serial port mapped through a USB to serial converter connected to the PLC, the emulator would crash each time I tried to send an update to it. It did not matter if I stopped the emulator first. Each time I made a change, I had to stop the g3sim.exe file, delete the emulator files, then send it again and it would work.

This procedure added a few seconds to my chore each time I wanted to test a change. Nothing was necessarily wrong with my file, but it still caused issues with the emulator hanging up. Once I got through with my testing and installed the real hardware I did find a couple of addresses in my tags that did not exist in the PLC-5. This caused the screen to update very slowly (probably waiting on the driver to process errors from those non-existent tags). Once I deleted/corrected those stray tag addresses, the speed of the HMI was fine. I don't know if this is related to why the emulator crashed, just a tidbit to think about.

Anyway, another thing for your situation is that you can open two instances of Crimson 3 and drag and drop pieces from the problem child to the fresh application in order to save time tracking down the cause of your issues.

Thank you again, OkiePC. Thank you for the tip about running two instances of Crimson 3.0 and copy/paste. That works wonderfully. In the end, it came down to donwgrading the driver from "Allen-Bradley Native Tags via L5K file Enhanced 2.01" to "Allen-Bradley Native Tags via L5K file 1.04". It does not run every time, but once in a while I have to manually end the g3sim.exe process. All of the above under Windows 8.1, under WMware.