Manual Addressing a SLC from ControlLogix across DH+

TimD

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I have a SLC DH+ (Slot0, Port1) and I am trying to use the MSG (SLCRead) instruction in Logix5000 to get data out of the SLC.

I cannot simply add my DHRIO card to the I/O config (please see thread(http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=58507))

I must manually address the SLC using the MSG instruction in the Backplane,Port fashion.

Anyone familiar with using this connection method?

My System looks like this:
SLC CPU Slot0, DH+ Port1
ControlLogix CPU Slot0
ControlNet card (master) Slot 3, Node 1
ControlNet card (remote I/O) Slot 0, Node 3
DHRIO Card (on remote I/O Rack) Slot 9, Channel 'A' (#2)

I appreciate any help here, as I'm so close, yet so far :(

Thanks!

you keep saying that you have an SLC ... the question is WHICH of the many SLCs do you have? ... specifically, is it an SLC-5/04 ???

PS Edit ... IF it is indeed an SLC-5/04, then I'll be working around the lab later today - and I'll see if I can nail all of this down for you ...

Last edited:
The path you require is....,

1,3,2,3,1,9,2,x

1,3 = out the backplane port, to slot 3 (Local CNB)
2,3 = out the front port, to address 3 (Remote CNB)
1,9 = out the backplane port, to slot 9 (DHRIO)
2,x = out the front port A, to DH+ address of the SLC

Hope this gets you going....

you keep saying that you have an SLC ... the question is WHICH of the many SLCs do you have? ... specifically, is it an SLC-5/04 ???

PS Edit ... IF it is indeed an SLC-5/04, then I'll be working around the lab later today - and I'll see if I can nail all of this down for you ...

TimD says his SLC has a DH+ port - doesn't that automatically mean it's a 5/04 Ron?

For future reference TimD, the manual path spec is always made up in PAIRS of numbers...

PORT,ADDRESS

In your earlier post your path failed to complete the pairs at each step. I hope the above explanation makes this clearer for you...

yes, normally it does ... but ... right now I'm so pressed for "spare time" to answer forum questions, that I have quit making assumptions like that ...

my work schedule doesn't allow me enough time to pull together a rock solid answer - for a problem that hasn't been completely nailed down ...

I was tempted to ask for the amount and type of data he wants to transer also - but I'm guessing that any "working" example would do ...

Also note that a DH+ address is OCTAL.

It can be specified in the following example....

......2,8#77

Or, you can convert the octal to decimal...

You must also have the ControlNet scheduled

Last edited:
yes, normally it does ... but ... right now I'm so pressed for "spare time" to answer forum questions, that I have quit making assumptions like that ...

my work schedule doesn't allow me enough time to pull together a rock solid answer - for a problem that hasn't been completely nailed down ...

I was tempted to ask for the amount and type of data he wants to transer also - but I'm guessing that any "working" example would do ...

For sure, Ron.

The path I gave him should get his message to the SLC, what happens from then on we will wait and see. Your comments about data type and size are perfectly valid, and we can cross those bridges once he has his path working.

Thanks Guys,

I'll be trying the path in a little bit. I knew they were in pairs, but was having trouble making sense of all the connections, or at least connection ordering.

I believe once my connection is valid, pulling a N7 register into an INT tag should be no big deal. I will only be performing SLC Reads and possibly a few writes.

It is a SLC 5/04

Thanks Again!

Arrgh, still the same problem.

Interestingly, Logix picks up my ControlNet card in the connection path.

Attached is a picture of my Logix5000 MSG block and configuration.

Perhaps this has to do with the DH+ Section in the middle? Also, daba, you mentioned in your path "the DH+ address on the SLC" I tried 0 and 1 (port=0 and node address = 1) and neither worked. I'll keep it at 1 for now. I do understand the octal notation.

FWIW, both my SLC and CLX are powered up, and in Run mode!

Tim

DH_connection.jpg

Well, I changed my path again to: CNET_N3,1,9,2,0 and I no longer get the error!

Now my int value is zero, I'll check to see what it is on the SLC and report back!

Interestingly, Logix picks up my ControlNet card in the connection path.

Any part of the message path that exists by name in the I/O configuration tree of the project will replace the numeric path you enter.

Also as you enter the path, if it is recognised as valid, it will echo underneath the entry box.

Drat, it now takes time to time out with a connection error.

N:7.3 has a value of 610 so I am now trying to pull that INT.

Thanks daba, I came to the same conclusion. Now I have a timeout issue, do you thing this has to do with port scheduling? My network checks out fine in RSNetWorx for ControlNet... with the exception that my DH+ card has a minor recoverable Fault. No further indication says anything is amiss.

This is a CIP Message - it shouldn't need scheduling.

I have to go out now for about an hour - I'll think about this while driving.....