Need help with Processor PLC5 processor swap

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

I'm currently working on an upgrade to our bleach screen room. Right now there is a PLC5/40 enhanced processor that communicates to some old panel views Via DH+. Since these crappy old panel views are having issues and there's no sense fixing them I'm replacing them.

Im replacing them with a Touchscreen computer with Wonderware as we use it every where else in the mill. I've made the new wonderware application and made the changes to an offline version of the PLC program. I want the Processor to communicate on our LAN for our PLC's, therefore I ordered a PLC 5/40E (Ethernet) processor to do the job. Wonderware will now communicate to the processor via Ethernet and DH+. This processor is also a tie in point for DH+ between other processor's so I will have to make sure that the new processor is programmed to communicate both with DH+ and Ethernet.

I'd imagine I would just follow the same dip switch configuration on the old processor for the new one, that way the DH+ address and the slot config ect. matches with the old one. I know that I will have to go into controller properties and change the controller properties to match up with the new 5/40E as well as change the Channel config on the "BSR" program. I took some screen shots of this as well as attached the program I am making these changes to.

My questions are will the program accept the controller properties and channel config changes I am proposing? I'm doing this offline just so you know im not going to be messing any live equipment up. I want to load the program onto the New processor so I can have it ready so its just a quick swap out when the available down time has come. Could I just use a spare rack and power supplies to plug in the processor and load the program onto the processor via DF1 protocol?

In the pictures you will see that on the left is the old controller properties and on the right is the new changes I am proposing. I've never set anything like this up before so I definitely need some help.

thanks, TEX

controllerchange.jpg controllerchange2.jpg controllerchange3.jpg

Attachments

• BSR-2014-1-13.zip
    182.7 KB · Views: 4
My questions are will the program accept the controller properties and channel config changes I am proposing?

Yes. I don't see anything in your screenshots to indicate otherwise.

I'm doing this offline just so you know im not going to be messing any live equipment up. I want to load the program onto the New processor so I can have it ready so its just a quick swap out when the available down time has come.

Good move. And if the new controller or some other changes cause a problem, you can swap back to the working one just as quickly. Be sure the backup batteries are good in both controllers before you have them powered off.

Could I just use a spare rack and power supplies to plug in the processor and load the program onto the processor via DF1 protocol?

Yes. The PLC-5 does not "care" whether the I/O cards or even the slots are actually present, however, any block transfer modules (analog and others) may generate errors in their corresponding block transfer instructions when those cards are missing. Likewise with any node checking in the PLC for any missing DH+ nodes or MSG instructions that cannot complete. If the error handling in the logic is correct, that should clear up when you install it in the system with the matching hardware.

As for the dipswitches, RTFM for each processor, as there may be differences among the models and revisions.

EDIT: I would suggest that you do not use the auto-negotiate setting for your ethernet communications. This is based on past experience and may never cause you any problems. I have had them though (problems), so it is my preference to pick a speed and fix them to a specific setting at both the switch port and the PLC. Auto-negotiate is for printers and office PCs, in my opinion. Most IT people disagree with me, but they are usually working in another realm.

Last edited:
Ok I'll choose my own speed, any recommendations? also what is the meaning on "diagnostic file" under channel 2 configuration, what number do I choose? I attached a photo to show what I mean.

diagnosticfile.jpg

Diagnostic File

Specify an unused data file to store channel data status information (9-999). The system automatically creates an integer file. Set to zero (the default) to disable.

© 1997 Rockwell Software Inc.

Find one that is not being used or create another. It needs to be an "integer file type" N???:???

Full duplex 100mB is what I would set for data rates. I was searching for some old posts on another forum to support what I said, and I only found the opposite recommendations from highly regarded members. So I am backing off a bit on what I said about AN. Nonetheless I stand by my (limited) experience with AN causing real problems that disappeared when we turned it off.

Always add a diagnostic file unless you are completely out of memory. Without one, the channel diagnostics within RSLogix will be unavailable. Like Mickey said, it doesn't really matter what file number you pick, so use something that you don't already use or want to reserve.

EDIT: I would suggest that you do not use the auto-negotiate setting for your ethernet communications. This is based on past experience and may never cause you any problems. I have had them though (problems), so it is my preference to pick a speed and fix them to a specific setting at both the switch port and the PLC. Auto-negotiate is for printers and office PCs, in my opinion. Most IT people disagree with me, but they are usually working in another realm.[/quote]

One more thing, with regard to speed setting of ethernet. AB recommends that if you are going to fix the speed, that the speed be fixed at the PLC end and also on the Managed Switch end, so that both devices on either end of the wire are set to fixed speed. I've seen this guidance elsewhere, as well.

EDIT: I would suggest that you do not use the auto-negotiate setting for your ethernet communications.

I disagree. This, more often than not, is worse off. Most device are connected to switches and all newer switch are auto-negotiate and unless it's a managed switch where a port can be forced. It cause more problem when one side is auto and the other set. One would think that auto on one-side would automatically match to the other. No, not how that works.

I realize this is the standard advice about a decade back but UNLESS there's a specific reason and a very good reason to do so. LEAVE everything in auto-negotiate. This advice is echoed by Rockwell as well.

EDIT: I would suggest that you do not use the auto-negotiate setting for your ethernet communications.

I disagree. This, more often than not, is worse off. Most device are connected to switches and all newer switch are auto-negotiate and unless it's a managed switch where a port can be forced. It cause more problem when one side is auto and the other set. One would think that auto on one-side would automatically match to the other. No, not how that works.

I realize this is the standard advice about a decade back but UNLESS there's a specific reason and a very good reason to do so. LEAVE everything in auto-negotiate. This advice is echoed by Rockwell as well.

I left it as auto negotiate, thank you.