OK to run the Neutral wire thru a Disconnect?

Why disconnect it at all? Seems like there are fewer rules to worry about if you do not disconnect it, at least in most USA areas.
That is what I said already.:cry:

And because there should be some way to completely isolate the equipment from the supply.
It's a plug in machine, it goes to a plug and socket, it can be unplugged. You can't get much more isolated than a 5 metre air gap to the supplying socket.o_Oo_O

I think someone swapped out my decaffeinated for the real stuff.

1. Not every machine has a plug: some are actually hardwired.

2. Even if the machine has a plug, pulling it while drawing amps may not be a good idea.

3. All the modern disconnect switches come with provisions for lockout/tagout. There are lockable devices for plugs but they are usually a hassle to use.

One reason some machines are hard wired:

A stamping plant I worked at years back bought an inspection machine. Just a few proxy's to detect a part and holes in the part. If everything was OK it sprayed a dot of colored ink on the part. All 120V proxy's, valves & PLC. However the machine came with a 480 to 120 transformer and a disconnect to be wired to a buss plug.

Easily converted to 120V.

The problem is, now the unit was classified as a "Portable appliance" and subject to a lot more rules and regulations on design, and liability on the machine builder. They had us sign off, releasing them from all liability and claims from us converting their machine to a portable appliance.

This plugged machine reminds me of an interest case I saw on a fairly old semi-submersible drilling rig.

The case was presented to me with a picture of a "coffee room" with an multiple socket extension lead on top of the table and a few things connected to it such as a toaster or a kettle and there were a couple more things to the point that you always had one plug less to connect everything.

Everyone would highlight that it looked like a ****hole, the use of extensions should be avoided, extensions with power should definitely be avoided and so on...

The real problem was that the stability and ballast system was connected with a plug to that extension socket. On a bad day, making a cup of tea could kill them all.

On a similar note about plugged equipment, again on ships, some equipment like GPS units, recorders and what not are plugged appliances. For safety, they'll be powered from UPS power. One ship I worked on removed the recorder from the bridge to the captain's office and left that plug available in the wall.
The weekly cleaner came in and plugged in his vacuum cleaner in it... The UPS didn't like it and threw a fit causing all sorts of errors. (Yes, the socket should have better protection) but it's yet another case of plug equipment causing trouble.

1. Not every machine has a plug: some are actually hardwired.
The OPs picture shows a plug, I wasn't meaning all machines are connected by a plug, just this one because the OP showed it as having a plug.

2. Even if the machine has a plug, pulling it while drawing amps may not be a good idea.
Pretty much always a bad idea, but a simple Off switch that just breaks the Line would be OK for that. Again looking back at what the OP posted.

The problem is, now the unit was classified as a "Portable appliance" and subject to a lot more rules and regulations on design, and liability on the machine builder. They had us sign off, releasing them from all liability and claims from us converting their machine to a portable appliance.
The OP showed it with a plug, portable or not, I know not.