Asking for an inexpensive PLC recommendation

I mean the addressing of the I/O via the Ethernet/IP coupler using Logix.

Generally, WORDs are brought into the PLC in the size that you configured for your Generic Ethernet/IP Device. You then need to matchup what each bit in the WORDs indicate. An EDS file is helpful or manufactures manual for figuring out whats what.
Same goes for the output as well.

If you want a high density and small footprint Ethernet/IP bus coupler with integration software for AB Compact/Contrologix PLCs, then take a look at what B&R has to offer.

A piece of software is provided to configure your B&R rack. Configure what modules you need and also label IO points. It will generate an .L5K file that you can then open and copy the ethip module and UDTs over to your project.
In your controller organizer, all of the IO you labeled is there as well.

I think what geniusintraining meant was that only AB solutions will "easily" integrate with Studio.

Back to the topic,
I would have to go with a Schneider PLC or Automation Direct Productivity or BRX.

Generally, WORDs are brought into the PLC in the size that you configured for your Generic Ethernet/IP Device.

If you want a high density and small footprint Ethernet/IP bus coupler with integration software for AB Compact/Contrologix PLCs, then take a look at what B&R has to offer.

A piece of software is provided to configure your B&R rack. Configure what modules you need and also label IO points. It will generate an .L5K file that you can then open and copy the ethip module and UDTs over to your project.
In your controller organizer, all of the IO you labeled is there as well.

I think what geniusintraining meant was that only AB solutions will "easily" integrate with Studio.

Back to the topic,
I would have to go with a Schneider PLC or Automation Direct Productivity or BRX.

Yes, you generally get words into the PLC.

Just make a ladder that distributes them into DINTS with the BTD command. Remote IO is really the best option, IMO.

Just want to say thanks for your recommendations. The project has been delayed due to a higher priority one that is utilizing the resources.

The machine is still working with a temporary fix I made to the CPU.

I downloaded and installed free CODESYS and I'm trying learn it as I have the time. I'm still inclined towards AutomationDirect though.

Thanks again

Bye

Yes, you generally get words into the PLC.

Just make a ladder that distributes them into DINTS with the BTD command. Remote IO is really the best option, IMO.

Finally got some application notes from Wago and Weidmuller - integration is relatively straightforward for both. The savings are in the £1000s for the project I'm doing and the modules are more compact too so it's a no brainer in my case.

So back to the thread - I'd stick with Allen Bradley CPUs but look at cheaper alternatives to their HMI and I/O...

Having a familiarity with really only 2 brands AB and AD, I have been slowly shifting our company over to one of the versions of the DoMore family. The Productivity PLC 2000 and 1000 weren't out yet when we started changing so that is why the DoMore was chosen. The software is easy. Connecting to a PLC couldn't be easier. Installing the software is simple. The tech support is second to none. And Free. Those are the reasons I have been making the switch.

I was raised on AB. Have a local distributor. And have a lot of great relationships with the distributor. It's just that for a smaller company, it's hard to pay AB's prices. And also deal with some of AB's nuances mostly in dealing with software or firmware. I rarely have issues with their hardware.

I'm very happy with the BRX and the DoMore for DL205. However, I would seriously look at the Productivity. I've never used it and I can't decide if I should go down the avenue of learning a new PLC. But, I'm considering it.

I'm very happy with the BRX and the DoMore for DL205. However, I would seriously look at the Productivity. I've never used it and I can't decide if I should go down the avenue of learning a new PLC. But, I'm considering it.

I've been very happy with the 10+ installs of the Productivity 2000 PLC's. Great product and love the software.

I've been very happy with the 10+ installs of the Productivity 2000 PLC's. Great product and love the software.

Bob,
I've heard that time and time again. That's why I'm thinking of giving it a shot. The tag based addressing also feels a bit more familiar now. Can't believe I'm saying that when it seems like yesterday when Allen Bradley rolled out the concept...

With that said, I'll never knock the DoMore. It does everything I could ask from a PLC. It's very affordable. And, you basically have double duty tech support with either Automation Direct or Host.

All PLC's have pros and cons. You just have to weigh it out. Back to the OP, do not be afraid of any of the Automation Direct PLC's. I've heard nothing but praise for the DoMore or Productivity. I will sidestep and say I've never used the Click.

Hi all,

I just want to share with you the conclusion of this story:

Well, it happened that both my client and I completely forgot about the PLC issue, and after one year of its announced death the PLC refused to continue to work and simply decided to retire.

Well, in the middle of this COVID-19 pandemic and without being prepared at all we had to rush finding a PLC and a software to replace the old one. Luckily we found a Siemens representative who supplied a 1200 config that fitted well to our needs.

I had to learn the basics very quickly, had to translate an instruction-line-coded program and do the job in no time.

Lesson learned

End of the story

Bye