TIA Portal Tags Gone

bagged2drag

Hello,
We had a mishap a while ago and lost our latest project for a Siemens (utilizing TIA portal v13). I have a very old program and I was going to upload the plc program into it (realizing I will only have some different hmi items to repair). I have done this in the past with no issue on our other machines which we didn't have the latest programs.

When I uploaded from the device, all my tags are blank- default names. I tried a fresh upload from a new program and same deal. Is there any way to import the tags from my old program?

Hopefully someone with more experience will chip in. But before then I can tell you that you can export and import 'PLC tags' Tag names, don't know if it will help. PLC tags / Show all tags, click on a tag and at the top of the frame are two buttons, export and import. With DB tags names they don't give export and import but you can use Copy and Paste, and you can copy and paste more than one tag at a time.

An alternative to what BryanG said, is to open both the old and new projects, and you can do copy/paste direct. A hint would be to sort both tag lists by address. This should let you copy/paste several at a time. When pasting, you get a choice whether to overwrite or add new... of course, you overwrite. Also, you have the option to, for example, copy/paste the tag name only, description only, or the whole row of information. You just have to select the cell or row at the beginning of where you want to replace.

Out of curiosity, what PLC were you using? 300/400 you probably lose your tags on an upload, but 1500 at least you should be able to upload.

Looking in the program, it appears to be an S7-300, so then losing the tags makes sense I guess. I will look at copy/paste to restore this then. Thanks!

Be aware that when you copy tag names to DB-blocks, then step7 / TIA thinks that you have difference on datablocks between project and online. (at least old step7 thinked so)

Going online directly with them would mean that you need to download to PLC modified datablocks.

Then you lost online data and vales are setted from upload day or to forst case is zeroing.

You need to upload again DB-blocks to offline project and replace old ones after you have changed names. Then you have same saving data than online, but with variable names on offline project.