ControlNet Keeper and Scheduling

Archie

I tried to update a system with ControlNET that I setup about 8 years ago. I simply changed the RPI of one of the nodes and now I am unable to get the system to work again. It tells me it is not scheduled. I tried everything I could come up with in RSNetworx including a reset with the Class Instance Editor.

The picture shows what I get when I try to assign a keeper. Any clues as to what I am missing that is not allowing me to set a keeper or schedule the network?

Keeper.png

It has been probably 15 years since I've had to mess with CNET. Something that comes to mind, and it's very cloudy, is in RSNetworks, a checkbox that says Edits Enable. It seems like there was something with that selection that ended up scheduling the network. Maybe I'm nuts though.

edit: I was too slow :)

This is what I get when I click Enable Edits check box.

The system is an L55 processor with v15 firmware. The strange thing is the original program IO tree has a 1756-CNB , but after many hours of trying to get RSNetworx to do anything, I discovered it was actually a 1756-CN2/B , so I changed the program to match and that let me get slightly further with RSNetworx.

EnableEdits.png

Last edited:
One other thing to add is that when I go online using RSNetworx with a new empty file, it only shows the PLC rack and none of my devices.

The controller needs to be in Program Mode when rescheduling CNet networks.

Recreate the RSNetworx file according to the RSL5K I/O configuration and then try rescheduling again.

Refer to RA Answer ID 46577; the RPI change affected the CNet implemented NUT (Network Update Time) hence the need for rescheduling.

Would an unconfigured CN2 card prevent RSNetworx from seeing the devices when going online? I am suspicious of a cabling problem. Yesterday I changed the RPI on one node and it seemed that was the only node that had the yellow triangle in RSLogix IO tree. Today when I started again, all of the nodes had the yellow triangle. My thought is that maybe someone tried to fix it last night without knowing the CN needed rescheduled and did something to the cabling.

I did go online with an empty file and tried to reschedule by selecting he Edit check box, but it gave me the error shown above.

I seem to remember reading in a manual that said at least 2 nodes need to be active on the network before it can be scheduled.

Presuming that all the relevant EDS files are installed on the RSNCN machine, do they have another CNet bridge?

Is the 1756-CN2 series A or B?...The RSL5K shows A, however, you state Series B.

Presuming that all the relevant EDS files are installed on the RSNCN machine, do they have another CNet bridge?

Is the 1756-CN2 series A or B?...The RSL5K shows A, however, you state Series B.
You are correct, it is a series B, but setup as a series A in RSLogix. I went to the Rockwell site to download the series B EDS and the downloads only included series A and series C. But I was able to upload EDS from the CN2 module. Although that still did not give me the option in RSLogix for the series B. How do I get the series B option in RSLogix v15?

We have been down for 2 days over this, so they are currently looking for a 1794-AENT module to possibly eliminate the ControlNet. There are only 2 Flex IO rack remaining on the ControlNET. Over the years they have split apart the way these modules were configured, which removed at least 3 nodes from the ControlNet. if they find the hardware, these machines may be completely freed of the ControlNet.

The RA PCDC Search for "EDS files for 1756-CN2" returns all series (A, B and C) from A 10.008 to C 25.005 including B 20.009, 20.011, 20.013, 20.020. You have to match the exact revision of the module.

Is RSNCN running on the same PC as RSL5K? If they are not the EDSs need to be registered on both machines.

The Rockwell Compatibility Tool does not show Series B CN2s compatible with L55s at Rev.15; only series A. It doesn't get Red-Xed, however, doesn't get the green check either.