UL508A equivalent for higher temperatures?

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
UL508 covers installation of panels in normal conditions up to 40C. Is there an equivalent for 55C installation locations?

UL508 covers installation of panels in normal conditions up to 40C. Is there an equivalent for 55C installation locations?
No

einnh,
55 deg c is 131 degrees f.
most electrical devices are only rated for 140 deg f as far as I know.
what is the application?
can you install an air conditioner or vortex cooler?

james
That's how it is handled.
Some specific components can be operated at up to 55C, but pretty much everything else you will find is rated for 40C (104F, not 140F). UL508A is for building the control panels, but UL508 itself is where the components are listed, and that too is limited to 40C. So yes, a component mfr can list a higher maximum temperature, but once you go over 40C, you are on your own.

Misinterpretation on my part I guess. I thought that was ambient for the enclosure. I have an installation where outside ambient is 55C rated. Panel is kept below 40C internally via HVAC.

This issue recently came up at work and this is what I have found. While 508A does not clearly define "ambient temperature", I found a Siemens UL Guideline that explicitly defines it as follows:

"Ambient temperature according to UL 508 and 508A:

The ambient temperatures specified in these standards are measured 3 to 4 feet (around 1.20 meters) outside the industrial control panel. This is not the temperature in the panel near the industrial control equipment. This is referred to as "surrounding air temperature"."

So according to this, it is in fact referring to the ambient for the enclosure. I would take this to mean any enclosure, regardless of internal cooling, that is subject to ambient temperatures above 104F(40C) Does not conform to UL508A, thoughts?

This issue recently came up at work and this is what I have found. While 508A does not clearly define "ambient temperature", I found a Siemens UL Guideline that explicitly defines it as follows:

"Ambient temperature according to UL 508 and 508A:

The ambient temperatures specified in these standards are measured 3 to 4 feet (around 1.20 meters) outside the industrial control panel. This is not the temperature in the panel near the industrial control equipment. This is referred to as "surrounding air temperature"."

So according to this, it is in fact referring to the ambient for the enclosure. I would take this to mean any enclosure, regardless of internal cooling, that is subject to ambient temperatures above 104F(40C) Does not conform to UL508A, thoughts?

Hmmm... Interesting thought.

UL508A incorporates other relevant UL standards, and the UL standard for enclosures is UL 50. I'd have to look there to see if there is an ambient external temperature spec. I think I still have a copy back at the office.