Add IO to remote rack via Controlnet

angi

Hi,

we need to add some ControlLogix IOs to a remote rack via controlnet, based on the info from Ab, Lodix V15 could do it on line, there are some question:
1. Does later version do the same job, for example V20, V24?
2. after adding IO using Logix5000, do we need to re-schedule the network using RSWorx for controlnet?
3. if re-schedule needed, will it cause system stop working?

Thanks

Hello,
The firmware version of your controller must match the software version of your Logix program. If your controller is V15, you must use Logix V15.
You can't add IO modules to the IO configuration online in Logix 15. You will need to add the modules to the IO configuration offline, then download the new program to your controller.
I assume there's a 1756 CNB module in your remote chassis. I would definitely recommend re-scheduling the network using RSNetworx.

$

Thanks for your reply.
How come AB said we could do online addition using v15? And looks like the system need to be shut down in order to load updated controlnet configuration, is there a way to not shutdown system?

As noted, you need the corresponding revision of RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000 that matches your firmware major revision in the controller.

RSLogix 5000 v15 first introduced the ability to add 1756 I/O module direct connections to remote chassis over ControlNet during runtime. All subsequent versions also have that capability.

There are details in the Logix Controllers Design Considerations manual starting on Page 83, and in the ControlLogix System User Manual starting in Chapter 8 on page 136.

This technique allows you to add the module connections without putting the controllers in PROGRAM mode or shutting down the system.

To do so, it uses the unscheduled portion of the ControlNet bandwidth, which reduces your ability to configure fast, deterministic connections.

If you need to create a Rack Optimized connection, or a Scheduled connection, you will have to plan a system shutdown for download and re-scheduling of the ControlNet network.

Ken,
So after I add the io in logix5000 io tree online, do I need to do anything using rsnetworx ?
Thanks

If you are using the "add online" feature as described in those user manuals, you do not need to use RSNetworx for Controlnet for anything.

If the existing remote controlnet module was configured as rack optimized connection, and I am going add io to its spare slot, do I need to re schedule the network?
Thanks

I'm not sure if adding discrete modules to a Rack Optimized connection can be done online.

I think that in such a case, you would make a Module direct connection to the discrete module (just like you would with an analog module) and let it run in the unscheduled bandwidth.

Then, when you have time to bring the system down for maintenance, you would change that connection to a Rack Optimized connection and re-schedule the network.

Ken,

Based on the manual:
Digital I/O modules can be added as rack-optimized connections if the
parent module is configured with rack-optimized connections.

Does it mean if the existing controlnet module has been configured as rack-optimized connection, then the new added IOs in the same rack by RS5000 will be scheduled?

Thanks

In general, you can add a discrete module as a Rack-Optimized module to an existing Rack-Optimized chassis connection. That creates a new set of tags with a Slot number and the Fault, Data, and Configuration information for the module.

But I don't know if you can do it online in Run mode. You can try !

If Studio 5000 does not allow that, you can fall back and create a direct Input Data type connection to the discrete module, which will run in the unscheduled bandwidth of the ControlNet.