Super new to PLCS, dumb questions in here!

MasterBri

Hey everybody!
So, as the title suggests, I am extremely new to using PLCs but not new to tinkering with electronics. I am playing around with starting a project using PLC and I know it can be done, but the one thing that I am just not getting is the wiring.
I will be using a 24v dc system that is fed with 6ga wire over a train of 3-4 'vehicles'. Each vehicle will have 2 sets of up/down buttons and 2 actuators for lifting. The circuit within each vehicle that controls the actuators is roughly 25 ft and is currently using 10ga wire. I would like to have an onboard PLC in each vehicle in order to automate the actuators via sensors.
My question is: how do I control a system like this which could push upwards of 60A with a PLC? Like I said, I am super new to this type of thing and every PLC I've ever seen has had like 16ga max hooked up to them.

Please bear with me and my stupid questions!! I just want to learn how to hook this thing up right.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

One would use the PLC to actuate a contactor, as in a beefy relay. Alternatively you could use a soft-starter or frequency converter.

That would work.

We generally use these type of contactors, but that is a design decision you have to make.

Do not forget safety devices tho. You will want (at least) a emergency stop that will power off the relay (assuming that is safe state).

As boneless suggests, when using a PLC to drive large loads you need to incorporate interposing relays. The PLC wont have enough *** to drive them itself. Google "interposing relay".

Also, one might want to add a reverse biased diode across the relay (contactor) coil.
To suppress electro-magnetic spikes when the PLC output opens back up.

Poet.

Before picking a realy / contactor, you will need better definition of the load. 60A at 24VDC is a significant amount of power and depending on how often you will be switching, the contactors must be rated for the duty. In contactor world, you get what you pay for. So those little relays that SAY they are "rated" for 75A but give no other details are likely going to fail relatively quickly. You also don't want to use something that the end user cannot readily source replacements for, so no-name internet outfits are not a good choice.

But also be aware that not all relays and contactors can switch the same amount of DC as they can AC, so AC contactors like those shown may not be the right choice either.

If you provide more details on the nature of the actual high powered loads, we might be able to better guide you.