FTView SE ActiveX Installation

Roksan

When I transfer an FTView SE 9.0 application developed on my laptop to a panel based PC, I get missing/out of date ActiveX error messages for the alarm/event displays and banners. The panel PC was configured by A.N. Other, but I've checked the FTView version is the same as installed on my laptop. I also tried a 'repair installation' from the same installation media that I installed on my laptop - nothing showed as needing updating. Then downloaded the latest patches from Rockwell and applied to both machines - still no luck. I then took the .ocx and .dll files concerned from my laptop, and created cabinet install files for them. I've put these cab files in the C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ActiveX Control Setup directory so that FTView will try to register them when it runs. I now get a Windows error message stating that the ActiveX controls are from an unknown publisher, with no option to proceed anyway and accept the risk. After a bit of Googling, I've changed all the Internet Explorer security settings to allow installation of unsigned ActiveX controls, but still no luck. I'm on board a ship off the coast of Israel at the moment, with a VERY poor WiFi connection on my laptop, and no interconnect connection available on the panel PC which is down in the engine room of the ship. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks for reading.

Many thanks for the reply. I did have a quick try on my laptop with Regsrv32, just to familiarise myself with the command syntax, but I must have typed something wrong as it didn’t work - I will try again. There are two ActiveX controls to be installed - one has just a .ocx file, the other a .ocx and .dll. Do I register each file individually? Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

If one of you has a different version of Logix Designer 5000 on the computer, it breaks FTView because, well, Rockwell.

I go ahead and install our highest deployed Logix Designer on every single system that has View on it just to eliminate that problem.

You don't need a licensed designer, just the highest revision that is on any computer that touches the View alarm displays.

That’s really interesting - thanks. I do have a later version of Logix 5000 on my machine than the engineer who originally developed the FTView application. I’ll give that a try - thanks again.

There are two ActiveX controls to be installed - one has just a .ocx file, the other a .ocx and .dll. Do I register each file individually?
Yes, you can register each ocx file invidually.

Maybe the dll doesn't need to be registered because it's just a library for the companion ocx. If that's the case, if you try to use regsrv you'll receive a message indicating that the entry point wasn't found.

You are a star my friend. I’ve just installed Logix5000 on the SCADA PC. This updates the common services platform to V3.0. Alarm logging and viewing is now working fine. Thanks again for your help.