Virtual Machines With PLC Software

This topic comes up every so often. I wish we have a wiki feature on this site.

What's the best practice for network adopter setting? NAT, bridge? With having to change IP from system to system in mind.
It depends a bit on brand, and whether you need L2/MAC access to the devices, or if L3/IP is OK.

I actually typically set up multiple networks for my VMs. One NAT to go to the internet, and one Bridged to the automation.

I also bought several Windows 10 LTSC licenses ($4 each on eBay). They are great machines because you can test everything Windows 10 without all the bloat that comes with the regular version. You can also turn off the automatic update. Whole virtual machine (Empty install) only takes about 21G of drive space. One also makes a great Rockwell license server. Other machines just borrow the license on the virtual network.

You can run Wonderware on LTSC? Intouch 2017 is not compatible with LTSC (so it will not install), but it is compatible with LTSB.
This was a huge argument between me a WW on why they did not do compatibility with LTSB also.
Dell will not supply a computer with LTSC, they said it caused "CPU spiking"???

I also use virtualbox and have installed everything from Siemens Step 7 and TIA11 to 16 to RSLogix 5000 and many many more.
I considered VM Player when I installed TIA16 and recall getting and error of some sort that I could not install it on the free version. Can't seem to remember the exact reason but remember enough to not want to try VM Player again.

Hello all,

Im very new to the VM world. i have an older 16 bit program that i need to install, but VirtualBox keeps telling me that it can not run a 16 bit program in my Win XP VM. Any advice, other than a DOS 6.2 and Win 95 VM? I will probably need this program once in the next next 3-5 years, but do need it now. I had thought about trying to install DOS 6.2 and Win 95 onto an exteranl SSD, but I doubt that would work very well with Win 95's limited USB support.

You need to download an old version of Virtual box and use that, if the application runs under dos 6.x then it should run in a dos session on Windows XP ( 32Bit) using some of the compatibility setting.

quick google shows how to set up dos 6.22 in Virtual Box. Link

You need to download an old version of Virtual box and use that, if the application runs under dos 6.x then it should run in a dos session on Windows XP ( 32Bit) using some of the compatibility setting.

quick google shows how to set up dos 6.22 in Virtual Box. Link

Thanks for the help. I was able to find a 32 bit version that runs great in XP.

What's the best practice for network adopter setting? NAT, bridge? With having to change IP from system to system in mind.

Managing IP's is just part of the world of using VMs.
The benefits far outweigh the effort.
Just keep a notebook with the settings per site/machine, and you'll be fine (*).

(*) I am continually amazed at folk who look at me, when I suggest writing stuff down, and say "I'll remember this.". 10 minutes later, they ask me..now what IP did I set my laptop to? Grrrr.

Managing IP's is just part of the world of using VMs.
The benefits far outweigh the effort.
Just keep a notebook with the settings per site/machine, and you'll be fine (*).

(*) I am continually amazed at folk who look at me, when I suggest writing stuff down, and say "I'll remember this.". 10 minutes later, they ask me..now what IP did I set my laptop to? Grrrr.

lol, I hear you: the only way i remember the IP of my Siemens test unit is because it's a S7-1214, and the IP is 192.168.1.214 ;-/

Most of the time I can get away with bridged, so there are two IP addresses, one for the host and one for the guest, on the host's single network connection.

However, when that doesn't work, I have a USB network dongle, and I tell VirtualBox to hide that USB from the host so only the guest sees the USB, and then the guest ends up with it's own, unshared, network connection.