RSLogix 5000 Import CSV and L5K Files

pnel15

Hi all,

I am in the process of a phased conversion from PLC5 to CLX. I'm trying to automate the process of finding and replacing tags/comments and want to get a better understanding of importing .CSV and .L5K files into RSLogix5000 v32

Currently, I have a script that does the find/replace for everything and creates a new .CSV that contains the new descriptions and a new .L5K file that replaces existing old tags within routines, with new tags. After the new .CSV and .L5K files are created, the user imports the files into Logix Designer.

I've been digging in manuals and reference materials, but want clarification.
My questions regarding importing these files are:
1. For importing/opening the new .L5K file, is there any issues with overwriting the existing .ACD file with the new .L5K file? We use FT AssetCentre for file management and don't want to have issues checking-in the new file under the same name.

2. For importing/opening the new .L5K file, does the processor need to be offline beforehand? The facility typically runs the processors online 24/7 and does online edits. Going offline is an option, but needs to be scheduled.

3. Importing the .L5K file would require taking the processor offline and re-downloading the program (unless I'm missing something here), but would the .CSV file also require the processor to be offline?
(Not specifically for this task, but I could see updating tag comments in the CSV would be much faster than manually entering them, if there's a lot of tags to update)

According to Logix 5000 Controllers Import/Export Reference Manual:
"When you are offline and have a project open, you can import tags and logic comments from a saved .CSV file..."
This tells me for any .CSV file import, the controller must be offline.

Curious if anyone else has experience importing .CSV and .L5K files into an existing project/program and if there's any 'gotchas' I should be cautious of.

Thanks

1. The L5K file will not replace the ACD file as L5K needs to be imported into studio and assigned a processor revision. This task will create a new ACD file and probably should be kept separate until after a successful download to verify that it works with no problem.

2. The L5K file to ACD file most definitely creates a new version that has to be downloaded and will not be a online editable file

3. The CSV tool that I use most of the time is also going to give you a version that will need to be downloaded as well.

I have not found a quick way to complete the large scale comment/tag modification that you are tasked with online either! The only item that I have found to be very useful is an excel/linx tool for uploading/downloading string values online however the comments are not in the same boat.

As far as the scheduled downtime for downloading it’s definitely a fun game to play as after completing all of the changes to the offline file and having a couple missed online edits in the meantime can be challenging to trace.