ME Web Browser ActiveX control

C4rnage

I am trying to embed a web page into a factorytalk display via the ME Web Browser Control activex object. Works fine on my laptop running win7 but when loaded into the hmi running winxp it will not display anything in the object. Heeeeelp please!

edit: after more research into diagnostics it says I need a newer version of ActiveX control but im not sure how to go about getting that

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

You obviously have the ActiveX control installed on your development laptop, but to deploy it to the HMI you will need to install it on there also.

You might run into a problem with the different OS's - it's possible that the ActiveX on your W7 machine is not supported on a WinXP machine. But you never know your luck!

Thank you! Been lurking around for a while now but this is my first post.
After several failed attempts at a fix for this im beginning to think it is not possible. If anyone has a way of embedding a web page in View ME please enlighten me!

It'll definitely be possible, but it'll be painful. You will have to use the activeX. You may have to do the development on an XP machine, potentially in an older version, so that the runtime file is created with a version of the activeX that the deployment machine supports. If you've never delved into the world of VM's, now is the perfect time to start!

Get rid of the error / options

You can get rid of the error by running the patch rollup for your current version, deleting the current webbrowser on the display and then placing a new one of the same browsers in. This will "update" the ActiveX object. You can use the ME browser or use the MicrosoftWebBrowser ActiveX and use the invoke command with a button object. When you place the webbrowser right click on the properties and look at the common tab and look at the name of the browser object. Then use a button to run the invoke command. Point it to the display the browser is on, call out the browser name, use the command Navigate2 and then put in the address. When you press the button it will navigate to the address. You can do this on a menu navigation page by navigating to the display on press and invoking the command on release of the button. If you get script errors in the browser, you can right click the browser, click VBA and inside the webbrowser section type Me.MicrosoftWebBrowser#.silence= True to make them go away.

Per page 6 of view-sg001_-en-p.pdf, the web browser viewer is only available on PVP+7 Performance, MobileView, and optionally on PVP+6. You might be able to do it on others but you may need to install software on the HMI OS to accommodate.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/sg/view-sg001_-en-p.pdf

Matching ActiveX controls must be installed on your development PC and the HMI OS for it to work.

If you goto the setup screens on the HMI, you can see the installed ActiveX. Press Terminal Settings, then choose System Information>About FactoryTalk View ME Station. You should use an ActiveX on the host that matches one installed on the HMI.

The ActiveX "ME Web Browser Control" only works for PVP+7 Performance, MobileView, and optionally on PVP+6 though.

Note that the HMI's web browser does not support silverlight or HTML5.

The URL is typically entered as "www.plctalk.net" (with the quotations if you are not using a string tag)

Here is a KB article on setting up the control:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/562226/loc/en_US
Per the article:
Property NameDescriptionTag Type (Analog/Digital/String)Is Property Optional? URL This is the URL of the resource that Internet Explorer needs to navigate to.
As an example, http:\\www.rockwellautomation.com. This can be specified as a direct value or using a tag. String No Back When this tag value changes from zero to non-zero the webpage navigates backward one item in web browser’s history list. Digital Yes Forward When this tag value changes from zero to non-zero the webpage navigates forward one item in web browser’s history list. Digital Yes Stop When this tag value changes from zero to a non-zero value, it cancels any pending navigation or download operation and stops any dynamic page elements, such as background sounds and animation. Digital Yes RefreshWhen this tag value changes from zero to a non-zero value, it refreshes or reloads the current web page.DigitalYes

Last edited: