Connected components workbench

hamm3r1

I know that CCW is not a widely used platform, but I like to use it for simple applications. Havent used it in over a year so I was showing a new guy how easy it was. Went to download program and got the error: CCW shell encountered a problem and needs to close. RA tech support is no help. Its supposedly caused by MS security update. Cannot find that update on my laptop to remove.Anyone else have this same experience. Thank you

About a year ago, I downloaded it and installed it to "kick the tires" I was looking at upgrading the PLC I was using for my model train project and was looking at several options. I could not get this software to work at all. I installed it on two computers (one a Windows 7 laptop, the other a Windows 10 desktop) Neither worked, had endless errors and trying to uninstall it was a mess.

Seemed a shame, the Micro series would have worked well for the train project and not be terribly expensive.

Ultimately I chose to upgrade to a Micrologix 1400 and I bought a copy of RSlogix Micro, I had been using the free version with a Micrologix 1000 and found that program to be reliable.

Mike

CCW V12 requires Net framework 3.5 and windows 10 does NOT have that as a core.

You will have to download it first and install. Once that is finished you should have no trouble getting CCW installed and working.

I can't answer your exact question but wanted to mention two issues I had with CCW. First, I have NEVER been able to get the "Discover" function to work. Second, it seems to be very particular about when the PC is connected to USB/Ethernet and when the software is turned on. If I remember correctly I had to connect my VM to the device and then start the software. If I did it in the other order it never worked. Just happened to do it in the right sequence while I was on the phone with tech support...

Thanks for the replies. For some reason The framework 3.5 wont download so I'll have to get our IT guy to look into that. I've checked my security patches and I dont see any that have been mentioned. I'm working with CCW V 12 simulator and still get the shell error. This is frustrating.

I tried CCW a long time ago,and I only tried it on the lowly Micro 810s, which seemed to me to be similar to the Zelio or Logo smart relays, except it was a huge download and forever wanted to update or has some problem.
Then I had another go a short time ago and I was getting to like it and the software seemed much better, than I remembered. I was nearly converted, but had what seemed like a minor issue and even here nobody seemed to really know what the issue was.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=123858

so the micro 810s went back in the miscellaneous section. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. For some reason The framework 3.5 wont download so I'll have to get our IT guy to look into that. I've checked my security patches and I dont see any that have been mentioned. I'm working with CCW V 12 simulator and still get the shell error. This is frustrating.

You'll need the Win10 install files, specifically the sources folder.

Code:
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:F:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Change F:\sources\sxs to where ever the files are.

Run from an admin cmd or powershell prompt.

Gentlemen,thanks for the info. I did get V 12 to work finally. RA support article.
  1. Navigate to the extraction location of the Connected Components Workbench installation files: *\12.00.00-CCW-INT-Std-DVD
  2. Navigate to *\12.00.00-CCW-INT-Std-DVD\12.00.00-CCW\Setup\Trending
  3. Right click on TrendInstaller.msi and select Repair
  4. Reboot your PC