Studio5k Class Instance editor - SMC EX600 with Ethernet QuickConnect

PreLC

Hello PLCS.net!

I am working with a EX600 Sen3/4 module from SMC. This is the documentation I am following: https://content2.smcetech.com/pdf/manuals/EXxx-OMS0027im.pdf

I added it to my IP tree in an L73 PLC on an ENBT card using an EDS file and Studio5k(V28) found here: https://www.smcusa.com/products/EX600-SI-Unit~89908

To enable QuickConnect I was looking at Page69 of the manual. Step 1 asks me to turn autonegotiation off, I was able to do step 1. Step 2 asks me to do things I've never done before.

Any clue how to do those?

Best regards,
-PreLC

That appears to be a parameter setting on the ex600 itself.

Did you use generic Ethernet connection or did you use the AOP from smc? If you used the AOP you will probably find the bit in the output array of the device AOP. If you used a generic Ethernet you will need to map the output array of the generic module to find that bit to write to.

The Ex600 also has a web browser view. Type in the io address of the ex600 when connected and you should be able to monitor the parameter settings that are being written from the plc to the device.

Did you use generic Ethernet connection or did you use the AOP from smc? If you used the AOP you will probably find the bit in the output array of the device AOP. If you used a generic Ethernet you will need to map the output array of the generic module to find that bit to write to.

The Ex600 also has a web browser view. Type in the io address of the ex600 when connected and you should be able to monitor the parameter settings that are being written from the plc to the device.

I tried the web browser, that didn't work.

I tried to add it using the EDS file from SMC. I think this might also be the AOP.

I added an EX600 to an L16ER about 2 years ago.

I was told at the time that the web page was an idea during development but never made it to the units at the time of distribution. Sure I could see the tables but the values were non-sensical.

I didn't add it in a DLR so can't add much other than I had to use GEM method and it worked OK.

We use about 30 ex600 a month, A variation of the sen3 or the sen1. I can assure you the AOP works just fine but I’ve never used the quick connect feature.

Installing the eds file doesn’t get you the AOP. You need to install the AOP if it doesn’t show up in your browser when adding a new module. The web browser does work, I have viewed it but that was probably 3 years ago. Once I learned the product never had a need for it again.

Download and Use the AOP, they exist to make things like you’re trying to do easier.

We use about 30 ex600 a month, A variation of the sen3 or the sen1. I can assure you the AOP works just fine but I’ve never used the quick connect feature.

Installing the eds file doesn’t get you the AOP. You need to install the AOP if it doesn’t show up in your browser when adding a new module. The web browser does work, I have viewed it but that was probably 3 years ago. Once I learned the product never had a need for it again.

Download and Use the AOP, they exist to make things like you’re trying to do easier.

I have already added this device in the Studio5k tree structure. As stated earlier, I was also able to follow step 1 and get to the 'Port configuration' settings in Studio and change that to full duplex and 100mbps.

I have been able to communicate with my module, no problems. I explicitly stated that I needed to use QC, that's what my question is about, and that setting isn't in Studio5k's AOP for the EX600.

OK Folks, so finally figured it out how to do this using a PLC.
Step 2 in where we need to set up a value in attribute 0xF5. The documentation I linked talks about changing the setting using a class instance editor.

Apparently, I can use the CIP Generic message, and actually set system values. I'll try this out tomorrow and see if I can probably share some screenshots.

Thanks!
-PreLC

Maybe I’m missing something obvious. I’m not sure how using DLR would beneficial for quick connect?

Yes my bad I read that on page 69 of the manual linked in the OP and thought that was part of his goal.

I never used quick connect though either :)

I have already added this device in the Studio5k tree structure. As stated earlier, I was also able to follow step 1 and get to the 'Port configuration' settings in Studio and change that to full duplex and 100mbps.

I have been able to communicate with my module, no problems. I explicitly stated that I needed to use QC, that's what my question is about, and that setting isn't in Studio5k's AOP for the EX600.

And You explicitly never answered my question about if you were using an AOP or generic Ethernet.

And people wonder why traffic is down on this site. I guess you got this and don’t need any input.

In order for QC to work you must do a number of things. Set fixed baud rate (Ethernet Link object), disable ACD (address conflict detection) and the QC attributed in the TCP,/IP object.

Then you must write a program that before powering off the remote io prior to the tool change, will inhibit the device using SSV function, sending forward_close. This is so the scanner releases the TCP socket for the adapter. When the tool is connected back and the adapter is provided with power, the program should wait 350 msec and using SSV again, deinhibit the adapter (send forward_open). There is a good technote in the Rockwell KB which explains this feature