Studio 5k Two Devices with the same IP addresses at different times on L73?

PreLC

Hello PLC.net!

I was wondering if it's possible to add 2 devices of the same IP address on a PLC, but they are not connected to the network at the same time, guaranteed. The network layout is pretty simple, everything is just connected to the unit itself.

Thanks!
PreLC

I have done this with I/O Blocks and valve manifolds mounted to changeable robot tools.

All devices with the same IP address have to be the same device type, compatible revision, and I/O configuration.

playing devils advocate here and it WILL happen.
what happens when both devices are turned on at the same time?
you loose both nodes on the network.
we have had that happen twice in the last 3 years. a display burnt out and one n the shelf was used to replace it. it had the same address as a bar code scanner. drove me nuts for an hour. I had to create a new network for scanners and barcode printers.
james

Why ?

You could configure the two devices have unique IP addresses and individual I/O connections in the I/O tree, then have the controller decide which one to use. That would eliminate the complexities with the flushing of the MAC caches in the switches, and the identical versions/configurations, and the IP address conflict.

Why ?

You could configure the two devices have unique IP addresses and individual I/O connections in the I/O tree, then have the controller decide which one to use. That would eliminate the complexities with the flushing of the MAC caches in the switches, and the identical versions/configurations, and the IP address conflict.

I think this was an xy problem for me. This is the way to go.

Why ?

playing devils advocate here and it WILL happen.
what happens when both devices are turned on at the same time?
you loose both nodes on the network.
we have had that happen twice in the last 3 years. a display burnt out and one n the shelf was used to replace it. it had the same address as a bar code scanner. drove me nuts for an hour. I had to create a new network for scanners and barcode printers.
james

I see. Agreed.

PrePLC,

I’m assuming this is for robot tooling?

Add the AOP’s and assign unique IP address to each. When you disconnect and reconnect the tooling use the SSV to enable or inhibit each module. I have done this with success. It keeps the io tree happy and you can still monitor comm loss.

PrePLC,

I’m assuming this is for robot tooling?

Add the AOP’s and assign unique IP address to each. When you disconnect and reconnect the tooling use the SSV to enable or inhibit each module. I have done this with success. It keeps the io tree happy and you can still monitor comm loss.

There are two competing Ethernet/IP products at one of my stations. They can't really be used together.

That's actually pretty cool. I don't think I'm continuing down this duplicate IP pathway for now, but I'll try this on a test rig.