OT: Job prospects in the automation field in New Zealand

ashley

To all the New Zealanders on this forum.
I would like to know the job prospects in the industrial automation field for one having an experience of 8 years, mainly in Allen-Bradley with a bit of Modicon. How popular are the Allen-Bradley PLCs in New Zealand?

Sorry, I didn't spot your post sooner.

Rockwell has about 50% of the PLC market here in NZ, rising to closer to 65% of the larger systems.

The rest of the market is pretty evenly divided between Modicon, Seimens and Omron with a smattering of also rans like Klockner Moller.

The bulk of our industry is roughly in order of importance:

Food Processing/Dairy/Meat Processing

Infrastructure Electricity/Water

Forest Products/ Timber/ Pulp Paper

OEMS Packaging/Conveyoring etc.

A small but significant Oil&Gas industry and one modest steel mill, one decent sized Aluminium smelter. In terms of manufacturing NZ tends to have just one or two modest sized plants in any given industry. Bear in mind our population is just 4m so there are relatively few large scale opportunities here.

What is missing are the large assembly industries like automotive or large raw materials like metals, chemicals etc.

As for work...welcome aboard. You will find the pay rates a lot lower than you are used to, but on the other hand there is at most parts of the economic cycle a chronic shortfall of capable PLC people here.

Last edited:
PhilipW said:
As for work...welcome aboard. You will find the pay rates a lot lower than you are used to, but on the other hand there is at most parts of the economic cycle a chronic shortfall of capable PLC people here.

How chronic ? I have ben told its very hard to gain Nz or Oz residence unless you are a doctor or teacher or have loads of dosh!

How chronic ? I have ben told its very hard to gain Nz or Oz residence unless you are a doctor or teacher or have loads of dosh!
Australia is virtually importing a lot of tradesmen due a short fall of huge proportions in some areas of skill. This is due to a lack of training, apprenticeships (most employers will not sign an apprentice up for 4 years), and a lot of work. You would be best to check with your local Ozz Embassy, if interested.

We have some great beer and restaurants in Sydney. One of the best is at our house, missus is a great cook, you can tell by my waistline. Let me know if you are coming this way.

Hi Ashley,

I've worked with a few New Zealanders, and they generally say that automation jobs are fairly easy to get at the moment. Likewise Australia - the majority of controls engineers at my workplace are immigrants from China, Ireland, central Europe and similar. In general you will do well as an immigrant in either country.

Regarding PLCs and market share - Rockwell constitute about 50% of the market here as well, followed by Siemens and Omron. Australia has a larger mining and industrial sector than New Zealand, but are not so dominant in food and food processing. Generally, if you're willing to put up with living in the desert mining engineering is by far the best paid automation and controls field in Australia right now.

Have fun, moving to another country for work is always an adventure :)

Last edited:
Hi Guys
I am an ex brit been living in NZ for the past 20 months now, I work for an automation company with offices in Auckland and New Plymouth - our work is mainly Dairy, pharmaceutical and Oil & Gas, there is a huge shortage of experienced PLC/SCADA engineers - I recently advertised for 4 months for an engineer and didn't get any experienced people applying at all.
Quite a few companies like ourselves are teaming up with NZIS and becoming sponsors for qualified candidates.
We currently employ 2 Brits and a South African, and our Electrical dept has about 20 immigrants working for them.
But be aware - the move here isn't all roses - a friend of mine came to Auckland 9 months ago - they hate it and are returning to the UK next month.
Everywhere is nice when on holiday for 2 weeks.

PhilipW said:
Let us know when..we could knock off a beer if you are passing through Wellington and waiting for the ferry crossing to the South Island.

I will if i am that way

Thanks

BobB said:
We have some great beer and restaurants in Sydney. One of the best is at our house, missus is a great cook, you can tell by my waistline. Let me know if you are coming this way.

Sounds good and ill let you know if i pass by

Can taste the beer already!