Connection of alternator w terminal tachometer with PLC

kappa

Hello guys i wish if you could help me out with your experience.

I must install a PLC on the diesel driven machine and PLC must measure the the speed of the engine and display it on the HMI.

The alternator is Bosch and the w terminal provides 6 pulses per revolution 1,5 V

Is it possible PLC to be connected with the W terminal and measure the pulses?

How is possible.

I really appreciate your help and advice.

Dimis.

Just as you can count pulses from a flow meter and convert it to be an instantaneous flow rate, so can you with rpm. It just needs to calculate each pulse over time... what plc are you using? My compressor panels usually have a mag pickup to 4-20 converter wired into the plc for.me. but I know it can be done...

Dear Dan thank you for your kind reply.

My question is if I can connect the w terminal of the alternator directly with the PLC or 1,5 V pulses require an interface or conversion.

PLC is Mitsubishi with integrated the HMI.

I am attaching a photo of the ports.

Kindly advise me.

Regards.

Hello,

This is an older post, but I am trying to do the same thing as @kappa. I am not real familiar with alternators. What would be the best way to connect this to the high-speed input on my plc. I would be using the Schneider M221 plc. I am gathering that the W terminal puts out a 1.5V signal, right? How can I interface that with my plc?

What I am really looking for is a way to sense the engine rpm and report it to a VFD with an analog signal. It seems that the easiest way would be to put a PLC there to take the signal and then put out an analog output to the drive.

Maybe you know of a better to let the drive know the engine rpm??