Export PLC Data to a Text File

timryder

Hey guys,

I have an unusual request from a customer of mine. They're asking to do a laser marking on some parts, ( no problem ) then read the bar-code we marked ( again no problem ) and then export that data into a text file on the local computer.... ( problem ).

I haven't ever had the request to do this. They're open to different file formats but I believe that they would like it to be something in the realm of a standard windows document file (.xml, .txt, .csv, .doc, .xls..... etc).

Has anyone had any experience with this? I've done jobs before using the FactoryTalk Transaction Manager which can upload to a SQL server, but I don't know about a local document file. Is this something an OPC server could facilitate? Does anyone have any recommendations? It's pretty much 100% open on design at the moment which includes hardware/software.

Thanks

I have seen solutions were a PC program would pull data from a PLC-like device through Modbus TCP.

The examples I have seen were bespoke PC software solutions from vendors of bespoke devices. Not generic PLCs nor generic PC programs. I am not aware of generic PC programs that would do this but there may very well be some out there. If none are to be found, this route would require you to write your own PC software. Modbus libraries exist for several common PC programming languages (C, C++, C#, Delphi).

Typically one would have the PLC prepare the data in dedicated registers and then put a flag in a bool register (coil). The PC polls the flag register at a regular interval. Once the flag goes up, it triggers the PC to pull fresh data from the dedicated registers.

My preference would be to use Transaction Manager to trigger a stored procedure that would write into the table and then generate a CSV or whatever format you want.

Thank you guys very much this is all very good ideas. I think i'll propose the AdvancedHMI as there does appear to be a budget on this project. The Transaction Manager I am very familiar with and could also do but I have a feeling that this will be beyond their expected budget for the license alone.

Thanks

I know some plc's have webservers which allow SOAP transaction where you can have applications like MS Office talk directly to the plc. I have not used this and know nothing about it but it is another option for you to investigate