GSD file and notebook format?

Tazikel

Hello all,

I am working on my second Siemens project and the customer is asking for some information that I am not sure how to provide. There are three identical control panels, though I will refer to only one. The control panel has an S7-1500 (CPU 1513-1 PN) and TP900 communicating over Profinet. There is a Profibus card (CP1542-5) that will be used as well. The customer will have two systems monitoring the control panel: one system will be monitoring only on Profinet, the other system will be monitor/control on the Profibus connection.

Previously they had asked for a GSD file, and I believe I had provided that. This morning I had an email asking for a GSD file to be converted to notebook format, and I am not sure what that is or how to provide it. I have tried searching a bit, but the results I come up with have not been useful; having to do with formatting the memory card or some such. Does this make sense to anyone and could you explain how to go about it or point me in the right direction? I am using TIA Portal v14 SP1 Update 2.

Thanks in advance
:)

Hi I would suggest they mean a text file (notepad). Open the GSD in text editor and paste into notepad and send that... and see what response you get

Hi I would suggest they mean a text file (notepad). Open the GSD in text editor and paste into notepad and send that... and see what response you get
I'm cooking the popcorn!

If they don't know that one could open a GSD in a text editor, what are they even up to?

Last edited:
Okay, it looks like what they meant was a *.GSD file, not a GSDML (XML) file that I had sent. The customer is foreign so emails need to be translated.

I found a GSD file for the Profibus card (CP 1542-5), but can't find anything for the PLC. Is a GSD file just for Profibus?

A GSD file is just for Profibus slaves.

Conversely, a GSDML file is only for Profinet devices.

They probably want you to set up your Profibus card as a slave. You and they will need to negotiate a telegram between you, so you know how much data to pass and what it is.

Once you build that in Portal, then you can export it and they can import it.