5/05 with RSLinx Lite comms

f16bmathis

Trying to go online with a 5/05 using RS Linx Lite, with either a rs242 9 pin din? cable or the other round one that's on top of that one.

Comms set to proper com port (2, I checked) and set to proper driver (sorry I'm not looking at it and can't remember the exact wording), and go to auto detect? The comm port is good, but it can not configure automatically.

There is a servo driver connected to the RS-242 9 pin din port, and nothing to the round connector. I tried both connectors with the respective cables, and am wondering why it won't automatically configure. I also tried my own set of cables with same effect.

So... If you can decipher what I'm trying to say above, is it that somehow the comms are set so they aren't going to connect the normal way, or am I doing something wrong? Did not find an Ethernet connection.

Thanks!

A SLC5/05 does not have a round port. It has a 9 pin serial port ( as stated) and an Ethernet port (RJ45). The serial port can be configured for DF1, DH485, ASCII or Modbus protocol. You can check the offline program to see how the port is configured.
Or post the program here and someone can help. Zip the program first.

Not all USB to serial adapters support autoconfig. If that is what your are using.

A SLC5/04 does have a round port which is DH+ protocol only. Along with a serial port (9 pin) supporting DF1 ,DH485, ASCII and maybe modbus protocol.

Last edited:
First, it's almost certainly an SLC-5/04 if it has a round 8-pin connector on the front. That's actually wired internally to the Data Highway Plus connector (the 3-pin Combicon-style).

You might have found a DB9-to-8-pin adapter around; that's not a serial adapter but rather an adapter for way back when RS-232 was on 25-pin ports, and Rockwell put their DH/DH+/PCL proprietary networking on a DB9 connector. The nickname for those was the "Shuttle connector" because its profile looks like a NASA Space Shuttle Orbiter.

The bad news is that the port might not be configured for DF1 Full Duplex if there is a servo connected to it.

What make and model of servo ? When the servo is plugged in, is the Channel 0 LED flickering, or on solid, or off ?

One reason the modern MicroLogix controllers have a hidden "Channel 0 Default" button is because the SLC family doesn't, and you can end up not being able to get into the controller without one of the more exotic proprietary network interfaces.

I agree that many USB/RS232 converters just don't work correctly with the Auto-Config function because they can't change framing and speed fast enough. Try the default 19200 8/N/1 framing with the DF1 Full Duplex serial driver.