Siemens PLC to SAP

antonydias

I would like to know how i communicate Siemens PLC to the SAP based ERP system? Also how to convert PLC data into EXCEL sheet

Hi

I don't think that there is a way to make a direct connection between PLC and SAP .You will alway need some software on PC to communicate with the PLC and then transfer the info to SAP.

We use winCC to get info and transfer the info to a database ( or excel) and BizTalk to get/put info to SAP.

Eric

JesperMP said:
Without knowing SAP, I would expect it to use OPC to exchange data with PLCs.

From limited experience : Not in a million years !!! Export ( or import ) is via text file or something called iDoc .This then gets processed via a microsoft package called BizTalk.The data then end up in a PC where some software( ie WinCC in our case) will sent the info to the PLC.

Don't forget SAP is on top of the 'foodchain'and doesn't care about insects like PLC's

Eric

aikona said:
From limited experience : Not in a million years !!! Export ( or import ) is via text file or something called iDoc .This then gets processed via a microsoft package called BizTalk.The data then end up in a PC where some software( ie WinCC in our case) will sent the info to the PLC.
Don't forget SAP is on top of the 'foodchain'and doesn't care about insects like PLC's
Eric
OK, I dont know SAP or BizTalk. Just did a small search on BizTalk, and of the possible "connection types" the most obvious possibilities seems to let an OPC server acess the same SQL database as SAP and BizTalk does. I guess that this is what WinCC does too (accessing the SQL database).
If I understand this right then it will take many steps before the data from the PLC will arrive in SAP.
PLC program - PLC Comms hardware - PC Comms hardware - PC Comms software driver - PC OPC server - PC SQL/ODBC OPC Client - SQL database - BizTalk - SAP (tadaa !!).

I know its not much help really but Schneider\Telemecanique\Modicon (whatever you want to call them) have a PLC module that sits on the PLC rack and logs variables (up to a 1000 of them) directly into SQL thus removing the requirements for OPC and a lot of toher bits and pieces, i have seen a demo and it works quite well

Do Siemens not do anything similar ?

To Jesper - yes that more or less it.

Its possible that Siemens has a direct connection to SAP , In PCS7 there is a SAP module available .There is also inat ( http://www.inat.de/index.php?id=30&L=1) that does all kind of fancy things.then there is http://www.opc-to-sap.com/compatibility.asp if you wanna go the OPC way.

SiemensIT also has software packages .

In theory , if access to the SAP database is allowed , you could write a piece of software ( In VB or Delphi ) to get/put info between SAP and PLC.

I have written some software in Delphi that get 50 bytes from a PLC into an Array using UDPserver component and then into a MSSQL database ( using MSDASQL).

Greetings

Eric

I have seen adds where Siemens & SAP have teamed up to provide solutions for this. I think it is done with the Siemens MES system however I don't know anything about SAP or MES.