SLC 505 online edits playing up

DairyBoy

Just when I'd stopped gritting my teeth in pained anticipation when hitting the go online button...
Setup is a single 1747-L552C 32k (and a pv600, but that's ok) via an ethernet switch. The system's been running for a year now, with loads of online edits and no probs. But when I tried editing today, the first thing was a program mismatch (although I'm the only one to connect to it), so I did an upload to the last saved file. All seemed ok; I could change timer presets, and directly write values, but online editing gave me: "Program could not be compiled. Online edit error! Going offline." And: "Test edits failed!" Then: "Assemble edits failed!" By preceeding the edit with the offline "verify project" button, I managed to get a little further with each attempt, with much uploading after each stage of failure. At the test edits failed point, the little ladder spun so fast I nearly ducked, but pressing the test button again put it back online and the test completed. (then the compile failed). Having completed the edits, the saved, offline version shows S:33/11 & 12 set. Is this the elephant in the panel?

In a final touch of irony, the link that the R.A. lady emailed to me generated a blank screen, apart from the words: "Operation Failed. Illegal Parameter." :rolleyes:

Thanks, Mickey. I'll try that. The help file for that tab is less than helpful, though. Do I need to (or should I already :oops:) know what fast and slow messaging connections are?

I don't know exactly what all that does. The knowledgebase article
just tells you to change them to "1". I'm sure someone will jump in and enlighten us.

I have run into this when using the Ethernet/IP driver in RSLinx, then I went on with the Ethernet Devices driver and had no issues.

oh man do not do much hard work go to controller properties & see the prob. or just add some instr. like GSV/SSV in prog to get the real prob.

I am having a similar problem, only when I hit accept edits,
it faults the processor and erases the program. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know how to fix it? I can program for hours or days then bam, fault and erase. It has happened on two different 505 processors with two different laptops. both processors are on a network with 4 Identical SLC-505 PLC's.

Thanks

HPD

Mickey, I've just been back to the site (for another reason) and checked out your fix. It worked. Thank you. 🍻

I have run into this when using the Ethernet/IP driver in RSLinx, then I went on with the Ethernet Devices driver and had no issues.

demmons method worked for me. I tried the changes in the .pdf file to no avail. I changed my driver to the devices driver and voila, I'm back in business.

Thanks for the post.

so so helpfull

thanks for this man i was on teh phone for ever with RA and tehy did not find this and it worked so well thanks

I am having a similar problem, only when I hit accept edits,
it faults the processor and erases the program. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know how to fix it? I can program for hours or days then bam, fault and erase. It has happened on two different 505 processors with two different laptops. both processors are on a network with 4 Identical SLC-505 PLC's.

Thanks

HPD

Old thread noted. For this problem I use the ethernet driver (not ethernet IP) and add the IP address of the processor followed by :v4. E.g 192.168.1.10:v4