Stepper Motor Application

Gio926

Hello all,

I have an application that is rather custom for our factory. I am trying to move some hardware (clamps) using a stepper motor. I would like to tie in the motor to the PLC (Running a controllogix with Ethernet/IP).

I'm just getting into finding the right product for the application. The load that I'm trying to move will require quite some torque - it's two telescoping tubes that move with about 80-100lb force exerted on them but I would like to have a rather large power factory.

From my research so far, I will be going with a NEMA 34 stepper motor. My main issue has been with finding the right controller/driver. Ideally, i would like for the controller to be E/IP based so that I can just run power + Ethernet to the controller (The cabling will be running through some complicated mesh so reducing the amount of cables will be ideal) but if needed I could do just some digital I/Os

I've never incorporated motion like this that is rather on the crude side.

1) Do you guys by any chance have a recommendation for a controller + motor combo? something that you've worked on in the past and didn't have too much trouble integrating?
2) Any major things I should be looking for in the controller to make it compatible?

THank you!

You say that this is to move clamps
Dose the motor torque have to hold the load or just position the clamp and the clamping is done with another device.
Steppers are good at positioning but not so good at holding a load
if you need to hold the load then I would look at a torque control system

If I were selecting the hardware I would look at Yaskawa A1000 with encoder feedback
set up in torque mode this would give both and can be setup to be controlled using Ethernet IP
I don't have enough information to narrow down the selection

I'd look at Applied Motion first. They have a lot of options and I'm sure there's something in their lineup that will work for you. Keep to the "smart" drives that keep the motion in the drive, that will save you the time from developing the motion in the PLC.

Another company I've talked to in the past is Teknic. I know for sure that they offer a motor/drive combo that will help with your wiring concerns.

THanks everyone for the replies. I will look at AMCI. the motor would ideally hold the system in place too but I have a backup clamp to hold it in place. I will look into a torque control system as well.

I have a couple of AMCI Ethernet/IP Steppers and they are great. They use AOI for control. Very easy to setup. You can also setup a virtual AXIS and have it feed the Position and Velocity to the Stepper via AOI.
Very good Product.

Thats exactly the type of setup I'm looking for. Can I ask what model controller/stepper you are using?

Thats exactly the type of setup I'm looking for. Can I ask what model controller/stepper you are using?

Mine are the SMD17E2-80E-M12
Nema 17 Stepper 80oz Torque with M12 EtherNet Connection.
You can choose Size, Max Torque,Encoder(Inc or Absolute).

I see that you are wanting to run them with ControlLogix so Setup is real easy.
So if you Buy the E2 Series everything is built into 1. Just hookup EtherNet and Power

Last edited:
+1 for the Clearpath motors. I have (20) of them on a job, and they're working great.

-rpoet
I +1 the +1 on Teknic Clearpath motors. We tried one out for an application about 2 years ago and since then have added about a dozen more to our floor. Great for basic applications.